Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of corepics
    corepics
    Participant

I’m looking into the various options about hosting our future symbiostock site. I’m curious if it’s possible to host the high res images on a different server (such as Amazon and similar) than the wordpress installation.

So, basically, is it possible to host the entire directory ../wp-content/uploads/, or whichever directory the high resolution images will be uploaded to, on a different server than the wordpress installation itself?

Enabling such a feature will mean tweaking some core files, I expect. We’ve got the resources to cover that.

The reason we’re considering such a tweak is thatI think it’ll allow us to be more flexible, as well have some additional security, in case anything goes FUBAR with wordpress, but maybe I’m mistaken?

I’m guessing the extended wordpress settings in php.ini, such as memory_limit, etc, will still be required?

Are there any other thoughts about the pros, cons or showstoppers?

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I think it’s a bad idea and it will unnecessarily complicate things. With webspace being so cheap and reliable these days, I don’t see any practical benefit of having your site and its content on different hosts.

Profile photo of corepics
    corepics
    Participant

Good points, thanks. They definitely tipped the scale towards the conventional solution. Appreciated!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.