Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ArtesiaWells
    ArtesiaWells
    Participant

Working on a landing page and tried two alternatives:

1. Home page templates – slide show works in all of them. Can’t figure out how to get in the featured images widget or latest images widget.
    http://www.mallorcaimages.com/welcome/

2. Symbiostock Home Page Generator – the slide show doesn’t work, but featured images is there as well as latest images.
    http://www.mallorcaimages.com

I’d like to have a wide slide show AND featured images + latest images.

Also I would like to get rid of the links on top of the page.

All help appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.mallorcaimages.com

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I think I can help with the links at the top of the page. Go to appearance–menus and click “create a new menu.” Name it what you like, and click on only the things you want to have in your header menu. You can move them around into the order you want by dragging them into position. Then scroll down to where it says “theme locations” and click “header menu.”

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

The above menu doesn’t support drop down items, I would keep this simple contact and login. Main menu supports drop downs so you can organise navigation better.

You can see from my site – http://www.travelwitness.net – to give you an idea.

Also I would hold off on using the Dragonfly theme until the wrinkles have been ironed out, just use the main theme for now.

ArtesiaWells
    Participant

Dear shelma1 and Matt – I so appreciate your help, but sorry guys – neither method worked on my computer and website.
    I have used wordpress before, and for a while actually, but nothing this complex. Don’t know where to start asking questions really, and I haven’t even started on the PayPal thing…

Even if it is overwhelming, it is inspiring to see the beautiful collection of individual websites! I love both your websites for example! I’ll try and see if I get a flash of insight somewhere soon…

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

You will need to go to the Appearance selection and select Widgets.

On the widgets screen on the right you will see Home Page – Above, Beside and Below content. Expand the Above content.

In the middle you will see two widgets for Featured Images and Latest Images. Drag these to the Above content.

Save them and then view your pages. It should work.

ArtesiaWells
    Participant

Thanks again but it’s just getting more and more messy here:-(
    This is over my head obviously.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

You had me signed up before and I’m still logged in apparently. I fixed your menus. Also your using the “Unity” theme which requires a few tweaks. Do you want me to go ahead and switch you to something more defaulty?

ArtesiaWells
    Participant

Hi and thank you!
    I felt that I destroyed something that worked, but didn’t know what… and couldn’t change back. I like the Unity theme design though but it depends on the amount of tweaks…

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

The unity design is pretty good, but i’m only aware of one tweak it needs:

.navbar.ss-top-anchored {
    background-color: #333333;
    background-image: none;
    border: medium none;
    box-shadow: none;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    }

Change “background-color” to anything you want.

ArtesiaWells
    Participant

Thanks so very much for getting rid of the annoying red extra text links.

Not sure I need color tweak for the background:-)

Another big issue is with the slideshow that doesn’t work with this ‘new blank page’ that I called 1025.

However, in the end I may want what he is having, since I know he used the same update and Dragonfly:
    http://stock.tdahlphotography.com

…but only if I can get there without loading too much work on everyone else, which is hard not to.

Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

@artesiawells wrote:

Thanks so very much for getting rid of the annoying red extra text links.

Not sure I need color tweak for the background:-)

Another big issue is with the slideshow that doesn’t work with this ‘new blank page’ that I called 1025.

However, in the end I may want what he is having, since I know he used the same update and Dragonfly:
    http://stock.tdahlphotography.com

…but only if I can get there without loading too much work on everyone else, which is hard not to.

Hi Artesia,

I am not using Dragonfly. I am on Theme version 2.9.2 and the standard Symbiostock Child theme. The slider I am using is LayerSlider WP by Kreatura Media.

-Tim

ArtesiaWells
    Participant

Aha… Where did I get that from (that you’re using Dragonfly)
    Looks very clean and simple.
    I am hearing a voice saying I should get rid of the red, BUT, I felt it gave me some energy there for a while.
    Thanks for the tip

Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

@artesiawells wrote:

Aha… Where did I get that from (that you’re using Dragonfly)
    Looks very clean and simple.
    I am hearing a voice saying I should get rid of the red, BUT, I felt it gave me some energy there for a while.
    Thanks for the tip

Just as an FYI, other than just Leo’s customizer as part of 2.9.2 I have not made any manual customization in code other than just one. I created the home page with the home page generator and edited the home page php file to remove the “row” directly under the slider. As you can see from my site that brought the three CTA’s up under my slider. Everything else has been customized by the features built into Symbiostock.

-Tim

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.