Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

right – definitely NOT working the way described — though it used to do so in the old days…

joann – re timing — I just count to myself — i trained myself for timing short intervals when i didn’t have a stopwatch, and my accuracy is within 10%; just takes a little practise

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Glad some people knocked on my door! Yep – you should have an ajaxy and swift system. The cachign system and the ajax post-fetching system were both finished about the same time. Somewhere along the line the post-fetching stopped, and a 3 page thread happened.

I’ll get on this today and have an update available.

Also I’m making progress in other symbio-related things, but I don’t share like the old days. But at least you guys know this project is secretly growing underground like the mushrom colony it was meant to be. 😀

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

😀 Glad you are on it, Leo. Sounds like you already have a hot lead. Thank you!

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

AJT has helped a bit. Gonna have an update out soon.

I’d say just tolerate this version (its not bad for a year of reactionary development to the ever-shifting tides of stock photo) … the new version I’m slowly assembling will be much better.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Thanks for listening and trying to fix problems, Leo and ajt. And thanks for future improvements.

Profile photo of CrackerClips
    CrackerClips
    Participant

Hi all,

So I posted today to microstock group talking about how terribly slow my site has become when doing a search and I was pointed to this thread. I must have missed a few things because I didn’t even know this place was alive. Last I heard it was read only.

Anyway, my site is SLOOOOW. Sometimes it’s faster, sometimes it’s slower but it’s always slow. Don’t remember having any issues prior to the last couple of updates. I first realized the problem in my admin area as it was timing out trying to bring up wordpress.com stats 90% of the time and trying to get around to different pages or posts is very difficult. The lag time is huge. Then I realized on the customer end of things that the search was bogging down badly enough that it was probably driving customers away.

I used a plugin called P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) to scan my site. The plugin shows what components of your site are taking the most resources and causing the site to be slow. It showed me that the theme itself was the problem. Sounds like Leo has an idea of the issue but it’s been a week since the last post in this thread. Any updates?

Bryan

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

No update yet (I think). I too am desperately waiting for a solution to get the performance back.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Will have an update today. I’ll post the changes with the new download.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

THP had actually trouble-shot this a while ago. Also AJT had made a small revision. I can’t take much credit for this!

We’ve shut down the analytics system for now (sorry cascoly!) since one of the history-logging queries is a little resource-heavy.

Before I send out a mass-email, please try this out and let me know how it works for you. I’ll be on it first thing tomorrow to follow up.

Thanks guys, as always your patience and dedication to our project is appreciated.

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

@leo wrote:

THP had actually trouble-shot this a while ago. Also AJT had made a small revision. I can’t take much credit for this!

We’ve shut down the analytics system for now (sorry cascoly!) since one of the history-logging queries is a little resource-heavy.

Before I send out a mass-email, please try this out and let me know how it works for you. I’ll be on it first thing tomorrow to follow up.

Thanks guys, as always your patience and dedication to our project is appreciated.

You may have covered this in what you just wrote above, but could you please provide a bullet point list of changes made in this (and all upcoming) updates by any chance Leo? Perhaps this update is just with the code removed that I had already removed, but it would be nice to know a bit more clearly what changes are made, to help us decide to upgrade.
    Cheers. Oh and GREAT to hear from you again Leo, love having you back in the forums a bit 🙂

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Wow!

I did the update from 3.3.3 with the slow search to 3.3.4 a couple of minutes ago and response time has improved tremendously. Went down from roughly 16s to about 6s (with networking and partners enabled).

Good job and thank you, guys!

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve just updated the theme (I didn’t go through the activation then putting child theme back – not sure if I needed to do that).

Anyway, I am getting about 4 second searches of my own site. When I turn on networking, I get a response to new searches within about 8 – 10 seconds.

However, I’ve had the network off for a week or so, and I’m not sure if it need to take some time to rebuild its knowledge of what is out there.

Steve

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

just repeated search for ‘food’ that formerly took over 30 sec, now takes 6 — looks good!

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

Sounds good! Is the updated theme also available on github?

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I’m really confused.

I updated my test site (I tried to get a zip file of the theme with the fix for the search bug but GitHub appears to be old; what I downloaded from symbiostock.com seemed not to have any changes in analytics.php; what I downloaded via the link the forums (that little box on the right on the Board Index page) likewise seemed unchanged).

I thought from what the theme update said that I was updating to 3.3.4, but when I look at the author page attributes section, it says 3.3.3

I was updating the test site so I could get the theme code so I can add my changes and then update my real site to 3.3.4 and turn networking back on without the search being slow.

Does anyone have any clues where I can find 3.3.4? Or what I need to do in updating my test site to get it to actually update to what it said was available?

It would be really good if future updates were clearly marked with the version somewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.