Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

BTW, I just did a search for “texas” on Leo’s site http://www.clipartillustration.com and results were presented not only almost instantly (like 2s) but also in only one block.
    I hope he can share his wisdom with us.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I did a few more searches with an eye to whether there were any keywords that were faster – wondering if promoted keywords might have had anything to do with it, but no clues.

I’ve disabled the network and searches take 2-5 seconds max.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

Yeah, very nice. That’s the way to keep a potential customer on your site.

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

@joannsnover wrote:

Yeah, very nice. That’s the way to keep a potential customer on your site.

Except I really don’t want to operate that way – and I am close to certain that in the past searches were quicker than they are now. I don’t have time today to look at this further, but I will try to shortly (over the weekend I hope).

The whole point of this setup was to network the sites, and I know there’s always the global search (which is used if nothing’s found on mine).

I’m sure we can get this fixed – it’s a shame that I have no clue why some sites are slower when networked and others not and also when this started…

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I completely agree. But for now flying solo seems to be better than not flying at all.
    I really hope we can find a solution soon.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

Thank you for bringing this up. I’ve just checked my site. It is not as bad as Redneck’s but bad enough. No buyer is going to wait 30+ seconds for a search to complete. This is really weird because I haven’t done any update/code change for quite a while (except for a few plug-ins such as YOAST SEO. Hard to imagine that those would slow our searches down to snail speed.) And I am sure it was working satisfactory beginning of February because I did thorough speed tests and optimizations.

I really hope we can find the cause and fix it. Would be such a pitty to shut down the networking on my site. 😥

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve also been struggling a bit with searches, and just wanted to mention two things that I found out (from Leo).

The first is that my site can become very sluggish when I have edited and published a bunch of images – for a couple of hours potentially. I now try to add my images in a batch and then rebuild the Supercache (overnight) so that my cache reflects my updated site.

The second thing that confuse your measurements if you have Supercache activated. If you do a search for a word, the system performs a full database search and displays the images that match that word. On my site that takes around 7 seconds. If you then search the same word again, you will actually get a cache of that result and I display that in a couple of seconds. So to really test your searches you need to keep thinking of different search words to really test the site performance.

I’ve temporarily turned off the network search as I thought that was contributing to longer than normal search results.

Steve

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

The second thing that confuse your measurements if you have Supercache activated. If you do a search for a word, the system performs a full database search and displays the images that match that word. On my site that takes around 7 seconds. If you then search the same word again, you will actually get a cache of that result and I display that in a couple of seconds. So to really test your searches you need to keep thinking of different search words to really test the site performance.

I’ve tested the search speed with and without WP Super Cache.
    Had it completely disabled but the search still took over a minute.

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

Could you try this?

Create a file named search_test.php (or similar) with this code:

<?php
    echo file_get_contents("http://ajotte.com/?s=white&post_type=image&symbiostock_network_search=1");
    ?>

then upload it to root folder of your server.
    Then call it from your browser

http://picturebreeze.com/search_test.php

Then repeat this test for other symbio sites, changing ajotte.com to other addresses

Typically it should take no more that 4-7 seconds to show results (XML data).

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’ll try. Thanks.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@ajt

That seems to work ok.
    With your site results came up instantly. I tried three other member sites and they were all in the 2 to 4 seconds response range.

I’m just not sure what this tells us.

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

This tells us, that connection speed between your server and other sites is ok. There must be different reason of slowness…

Another test 🙂

In root directory there is folder “symbiostock_xml_cache”. There should be about 60000 files inside, Delete all of them, but don’t remove folder.
    Then add one or two sites to your network and see response.
    Number of files in folder should not be a problem, my site has 60000 (this is default max number), sy.info has over 200000 now, but let’s try 🙂

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Deleting …
    Might take a while.

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

It’s taking forever to delete the 8,000 files in that directory (I switched to cPanel to see if it’d be faster than via Fetch/FTP)!

I also didn’t realize that when I turned off the network it would wipe my list of connections. Fortunately I had kept a directory with CSV files in it or I’d never remember who I had previously connected with!

Possibly I’m naive, but I thought the list would still be there when I re-enabled the network…

I’ll report back on search speed once the deleting is done

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

re the 4-7 sec to search a site — that’s a LOT of time! –if the search looks at 10 sites before displaying any results, that’s 40-70 sec of delay!

ajt – has anything changed recently in the way searches are done? is the search looking at indexed keywords? or at all text in an image record?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.