Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

It is to be expected that people will add recommended plugins. This is why I installed one or two. Having a negative reaction to “Newbies” will not encourage people to use Symbiostock. We want to encourage people to use the system to the max.

I appreciate all the help I have received and because I have received it, I will encourage others. I will also chip in and help people out on topics I learn about. At the moment my knowledge is rather scant but with the help from Leo and Christine, my site is nearly finished!

I, myself, learnt a lot about Symbiostock by reading other posts of people seeking help or reporting bugs.

By people posting issues that may not even be Leo’s fault it brings them to light and it creates a database of information for others to use. This is not to be seen as a negative thing.

Stating the obvious takes no effort and imparts nothing. Offering help to a challenge makes the world a friendlier place.

So far I’m finding this place to be a pleasant and helpful place… Thanks everyone!

Jo

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Its got nothing to do with newbies, I didnt even know you were new. I dont pay attention to that, I dont keep up with 115 symbiostock sites and their owners. I just made an observation. I still stand by it.

I’ll turn it around, all these threads with issues on 3rd party plugins give Symbiostock a bad rep. More and more people think its a buggy piece of software and that it needs a ton of work to run and maintain.

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Its got nothing to do with newbies, I didnt even know you were new. I dont pay attention to that, I dont keep up with 115 symbiostock sites and their owners. I just made an observation. I still stand by it.

I’ll turn it around, all these threads with issues on 3rd party plugins give Symbiostock a bad rep. More and more people think its a buggy piece of software and that it needs a ton of work to run and maintain.

I’d reply but I fear nothing positive will come of it so you are entitled to your stance. It’s as valid as anybody else’s.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

No worries, I wont comment any further. I hope you get your issues fixed.

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

No worries, I wont comment any further. I hope you get your issues fixed.

Thanks, only one small bug left with the license icons as far as I can see.

JoRodrigues
    Participant

I agree that it’s probably better to hide the beta stuff from the public. Still, transparency is not such a bad thing. It might scare off people but to be honest, EVERYTHING has bugs in this day and age because on the trillions of possible permutations.

Software contains bugs even in a final format. Only way to work out bugs is through testing. If no one wants to test then there is no way to better a system. I’m willing to test beta software like Symbiostock as long as serious bugs are fixed quickly and not a year down the line.

I know I am in the minority but I would rather know about beta’s and development and the bugs than be kept in the dark so I’m on the fence with keeping the bug reporting private.

Jo

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Hahaaa, I see whats going on here. My words got twisted for a third time. I never said Symbiostock is buggy. Yeah, I better shut up all together. I’ll just keep uploading and selling images from my perfectly working Symbiostock site. 🙂

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Hahaaa, I see whats going on here. My words got twisted for a third time. I never said Symbiostock is buggy. Yeah, I better shut up all together. I’ll just keep uploading and selling images from my perfectly working Symbiostock site. 🙂

Since your site is running perfectly please don’t shut up! Please tell us all how you have achieved this. It would be most helpful and in keeping with the mood on Symbiostock 😉

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Well thats quite simple. I just enrolled Symbiostock and it worked. I only update to stable versions. I dont use clean theme, I dont use Syxtra widgets, and I dont fiddle with code. I keep a very basic simple site. I just upload and thats it. I never experienced any major issues from the start. It all just worked, a few small glitches here and there, but thats it.

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

Well thats quite simple. I just enrolled Symbiostock and it worked. I only update to stable versions. I dont use clean theme, I dont use Syxtra widgets, and I dont fiddle with code. I keep a very basic simple site. I just upload and thats it. I never experienced any major issues from the start. It all just worked, a few small glitches here and there, but thats it.

Well, now we know the secret to your success! Thanks for clearing that up. It’s been most informative and helpful.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

@cathyslife stockphotos wrote:

@jorodrigues wrote:

I agree that it’s probably better to hide the beta stuff from the public. Still, transparency is not such a bad thing. It might scare off people but to be honest, EVERYTHING has bugs in this day and age because on the trillions of possible permutations.

Software contains bugs even in a final format. Only way to work out bugs is through testing. If no one wants to test then there is no way to better a system. I’m willing to test beta software like Symbiostock as long as serious bugs are fixed quickly and not a year down the line.

I know I am in the minority but I would rather know about beta’s and development and the bugs than be kept in the dark so I’m on the fence with keeping the bug reporting private.

Jo

I totally agree with you. All software has bugs and they need to be ironed out. Typically there is a call for beta testers, which Leo did. Those that want to participate, great. But so far it has been done on public forums! And then people complain because it looks like SY is complicated and buggy! It’s insanity, I tell you.

You really are ignorant arent you?

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

You give Leo admin rights and he goes in and fiddles with the code. 😉

Haha, I knew it, I knew you would bring that up. Whatever. Not going to explain myself to you any further. Bleh.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

Most developers dont do beta testing on public forums. I have no idea why this route was taken. Then, the forum was moved from msg and brought over here. It was suggested immediately that development and tech problems be only visible to members and not everybody. That hasnt happened, that i know of. I dont know why people continue to gripe about how SY is getting a bad rep because it looks buggy and needs a ton of work when no one seems to want to do anything about it. It is buggy and does need a ton of work, otherwise people would be uploading and selling and there wouldnt be all these threads!

Take all the developing off the public forum. When the theme works, release it. Simple solution. No bad rep.

not true — sym has SOME bugs, but hardly needs a ‘ton’ of work.

you haven’t done any software development if you think that ANY release will be the final, bug free one. napoleon said “no program survives contact with the users”. what we have now is a stable platform that people can use. the lack of sales has noting to do with the types of bugs beiong discussed here…

as far as public beta testing, many people do that – I’ve had public beta tests since the late 80s and have participated in many others. it’s one of the best ways to work, since lurkers will often inject a key insight or suggestion

i’ll start a separate thread though for issues having to do with plugins (though t’s not always clear where a problem might be)

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hey guys this isn’t MSG 😀 (not to belittle anyone)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.