Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I remember a discussion a while back about the cache that builds up on our sites, and how deleting that cache could improve site performance. Am I remembering right, and which folder needs to be cleared?

Steve

Profile photo of MinkyMooMedia
    MinkyMooMedia
    Participant

Try installing the plugin Quick Cache By PriMoThemes.com / WebSharks, Inc. it adds a button at the top of your admin area and clears the cache on clicking.

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

I remember a discussion a while back about the cache that builds up on our sites, and how deleting that cache could improve site performance. Am I remembering right, and which folder needs to be cleared?

Steve

If you mean built-in cache for network results, you can delete all files in folder symbiostock_xml_cache. But instead of deleting try how site is performing without using cached files. Simply go to Bee->Network and enter 0 in cache days. This cache is used only for holding results from network sites and it helps to decrease network traffic (and throttling), mainly when bots are crawling out sites.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Great – thanks. I have set the cache to 0 and will see what happens next!

Incidentally, I thought that the Run Daily Image Update was perhaps causing my throttling. I’ve just turned that to Off. What does that function do?

Steve

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

Incidentally, I thought that the Run Daily Image Update was perhaps causing my throttling. I’ve just turned that to Off. What does that function do?
    Steve

When on, once a day site writes all images info into two files (symbiostock_image_info.csv and symbiostock_image_info.xml). They can be used by external search engines, for example sy.info. If you have this option off, you have to remember to save these files manually after new images publishing or editing something. Just check “update public image info” and click Save. I don’t think, that this function performed automatically once a day is a reason of throttling. How much time does it take after Save changes? In my site with over 2400 images it takes about 8s. Much more time needs network scanning, also performed once a day, and there is no option now to switch it off 🙂 I think that this could cause throttling.
    (I managed to speed it up 2 or maybe 3 times in latest Symbio versions, but it still takes more than half a minute sometimes).

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

But… disabling cache can only increase throttling (or there will be no difference), bacause cache for files needed by bots is always enabled. Number of cache days is used only when search is performed by human (or unrecognized bot).

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

Steve wanted to delete cache files (I was not sure why), so I simply told him, how to do it.
    But because it could increase throttling, I suggested him testing site performance first without deleting files.

@cathyslife stockphotos wrote:

But for me it’s a moot point, because when I change that cache to 0 and save, it reverts back to 7 anyway. :rolls eyes:

You have 2.6.5 and it doesn’t allow 0 days 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.