Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

I used to use CleanTheme 2.0 and 2.6.5 and had checked out my site on iPhone, iPad and an Android mini tablet. It looked reasonable and was usable.

I just checked my Dragonfly/2.8.9 site (which isn’t quite right on a desktop, but is getting closer) and the results were a bit of a shock.

On the iPhone (4 running IOS 6) all I got was the menus – nothing else from the home page – and I can’t apparently get to browsing images from the menus.

On an original iPad, the home page looks reasonable although some of the colors are different from the desktop version (I guess some of the classes for mobile must be different?).

If you browse a category, you get the images in a single column list down the left – wasting all the available space on the rest of the screen (I was holding the iPad horizontally)

On a generation 2 iPad running IOS 7, the home page background colors around a couple of headings are different (from the iPad 1 and from the desktop) – why would one iPad be different from the other?

Same problem with images in a long list down the left

I thought part of the deal with Dragonfly was getting a fully responsive mobile site, but this is just a huge step backwards. Is there some option I need to enable or something I need to set to make the mobile site usable?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thanks for exploring that and reporting it. Those subthemes come from a resource for bootstrap 3. ( http://bootswatch.com/ ) It may be that some of them are altering things unnecessarily. Please tell me which subthemes are giving you the most trouble in Dragonfly.

What are you trying to accomplish? Depending on your expectations you may just be better off sticking with the clean-theme that you’d been using.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Thanks for exploring that and reporting it. Those subthemes come from a resource for bootstrap 3. ( http://bootswatch.com/ ) It may be that some of them are altering things unnecessarily. Please tell me which subthemes are giving you the most trouble in Dragonfly.

What are you trying to accomplish? Depending on your expectations you may just be better off sticking with the clean-theme that you’d been using.

Slate – with modified colors – is the sub theme I’m using. It’s the only one I’ve tried – other than the orange default that was there when I upgraded initially.

I don’t want to continue with Clean Theme as that’s not being updated either. Past experience just tells me that I will suffer more pain later by trying to hang on to outdated code than cutting my losses and moving forward with the latest product.

Everything moving forward will be done for the most recent version of Symbiostock – if there are bug fixes, they’ll be done there, not to older versions. I can’t see any sense in staying with the old version any longer. I thought there was talk that the latest Symbiostock and Dragonfly were intended to be fully responsive child themes for support of tablets and phones, but perhaps I misread that (can’t recall where I saw it).

So my expectations are that I can make some visual modifications to the Dragonfly choices to get a color scheme (and simplicity) that I like and keep my site looking as much as possible as it had before the upgrade. I’ve disabled SYXtra because I thought it might have been messing up the mobile layout (but it made no difference).

I am admittedly very frustrated at how time consuming and painful the process has been of getting the site to look the way I want, but I will keep working on it because I think the visual appearance of the site is very important given who we’re selling to.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

You can safely keep it in Cleantheme without out-date fears. Symbiostock development is done except for a few remaining small issues.

Profile photo of rolfo
    rolfo
    Participant

@leo wrote:

You can safely keep it in Cleantheme without out-date fears. Symbiostock development is done except for a few remaining small issues.

What do you mean? I can’t run Cleantheme on 2.8.9 or can I?

Profile photo of MinkyMooMedia
    MinkyMooMedia
    Participant

Beaware a few of us are having issues with Clean Theme running in IE8 and below, its trying to ad a mobile site when it should be the desktop version,

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

2.8.7 on a smartphone (Android) only shows a few images for collections. My collection has 14 images and it only shows 3.

Profile photo of stevephoto
    stevephoto
    Participant

I just discovered that my site is acting just like Joanns on an iPad, Search results and categories browsing display in a long line.

2.8.9 and Dragonfly (Spacelab)

I reverted to the basic Child Theme and the galleries present the same way in a long line.

steve

Steve
    http://www.softlightstock.com

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I thought I’d update this topic as i’d realized a few of the things that were making Dragonfly on a mobile device look so broken could be changed.

A big issue was the choice of menu style – I had the default, anchored to the top of the window. I didn’t have many menu items, but as each one is displayed one under the other on an iPhone screen, and then the search box is displayed, that fills the entire screen and there’s no room for all the pages that load – effectively invisibly.

With a top anchored menu, you can’t scroll it off the screen.

First I cut the number of menu items, but that didn’t leave enough space for anything usable.

So now I’ve switched to the “under header” menu. I’m happy with that and it makes the whole front page scrollable on an iPhone so you can actually use the site.

MinkyMooMedia
    Participant

Its does exactly the same on early versions of IE and a lot of andoid tablets and mobile phones, ( I tried my site on all the tablets in PCWorld the other day, I was asked 6 times if I needed help 🙂 )
    I thought the best solution would be to force the site to use desktop mode rather than mobile view regardless of browser or device, but Leo looked into it and said it would require too much work, so I think if you want a site that can work on all tablets and mobile devices your best sticking with symbio 2.6.5 🙁

MinkyMooMedia
    Participant

I’m using Leo’s updated Clean Theme on 2.9.4 by the way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.