Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I noticed quite a few good sites are missing a decent home page title.

The home page title carries a great deal of weight in relevancy, which applies to your site as a whole.

This is probably a good standard to follow:

http://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, it took some playing around with titles, meta descriptions and headers. For the first time the SEO on my home page is green!

Hope I got it right.

Profile photo of RuthBlack
    RuthBlack
    Participant

If I give my home page the title “home page” or “Ruth Black Photography” it comes up under my header banner and doesn’t look good, so I’ve left that box blank.

Is there a way to name the page without it appearing on the actual home page?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Are you using a graphical logo? If I’m not mistaken that should over-ride any text output for that area.

Profile photo of RuthBlack
    RuthBlack
    Participant

Yes I’m using a header I uploaded to the media library, but it doesn’t seem to override the title box.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@ruthblack wrote:

Yes I’m using a header I uploaded to the media library, but it doesn’t seem to override the title box.

I have the same situation as Ruth. I set up my slider banner to carry my site name and other basic info. When I put the site name in the title box, it looks redundant and spoils the look of the page. So I’ve taken it out again.

Yoast rates my home page as brown, because I have no page title and no text on the page. There’s actually three columns of text at the bottom, but it’s all in widgets, and they don’t seem to count.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Same here. Can’t give the home page a title.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I noticed quite a few good sites are missing a decent home page title.

Leo, as everybody said, I also have removed mine (left empty) from the theme customization (Site Tittle & Tag line), because from some newest versions, it is now showing the TITLE in the top menu bar, and there is no option to hide it. See my menu if I type the Tittle:
    [attachment=0:2fm33o9y]tittle_menu_issue.JPG[/attachment:2fm33o9y]

So, IMHO, you should add in the (Site Tittle & Tag line) an option/checkbox to hide/show title on the bar.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Well, folks, today I read this article on the drawbacks of sliders or “carousels”:
    https://managewp.com/slider-alternatives?utm_source=mwp_notif&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=mwp_notif

And after reading that, plus the included links, i removed from my home page the slider that I worked so hard to develop a few months back and really loved.

The upside is that I have now given it a title (as Leo suggested at the start of this thread) and enough text to bring it into the yellow-green SEO area, per Yoast. No more brown Yoast for me!

No doubt, the Google bots will dance and shout when they get a load of this. 😉

So, in case anybody’s curious, here’s my slider-free-but-yellow/green-on-Yoast home page sporting an actual title: http://bestnaturestock.com/

UPDATE ON FEB 26: Over the last few days, I’ve fiddled with the page until I’m quite happy with it. To replace the slider, I’ve inserted an image, which I can easily change every day or two. So… both SEO and a big, bright image on the home page. The best of both worlds!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.