Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HodagMedia
    HodagMedia
    Participant

@jorodrigues wrote:

Hyphens are an issue in the real world while not so much online. If you bump into a potential client in person and you don’t have a card with you it becomes cumbersome and potentially lose the client while trying to explain the hyphen and where it is in the name. You also need to make it clear that it is a – not an _ or an –.

As always this is just a personal opinion and I always think to the future with possible issues. I like to keep things simple for clients. The most important thing I learnt in my education was to assume that the client knows nothing and is ignorant (not in a bad way). This way you explain everything to him/her and make it easy to access your services.

Jo

Lost me in one part. “a – not an _ or an –.” What’s the last one that’s not a – (hyphen under underline on the keyboard) what is it?

True so make cards. 😉 If you haven’t been bombarded by Vistaprint they have free 250 business cards, which is a pretty good deal, for the shipping. It has their name on the back. (which you can pay to have removed, but then, why not just buy cards?) And you are limited to stock photos and backgrounds from their collection.

For a real number, which is hard to pin down and people make up some stories. Shipping my last order, cards only, was $6.93 = under 3 cents a card, to make sure someone remembers you and has the correct information, not some note or hand written page.

Another order for a different card, when I bought a shirt, including (or is that excluding?) blank back side, was $5.67 something shipping, the embroidered shirt was $19.71 – so the cards were actually 100% free!

They do get $5 for uploading a person image for products. But like everything else Vistaprint, if you watch they have free uploads too. Upload on those days, order later.

This is a very minimalist personal card. Name, email, Phone number, website. Just The Facts. Business cards have business details, depending on which one it is.

So when is a – not a – ? You got me on that one?

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

It’s the old n-dash vs m-dash conundrum, I think.

HodagMedia
    Participant

@russell wrote:

OK but there’s only one dash on a keyboard? Only one dash in ASCII or ANSI standards. Or ???

Profile photo of Russell
    Russell
    Participant

@hodagmedia wrote:

@russell wrote:

OK but there’s only one dash on a keyboard? Only one dash in ASCII or ANSI standards. Or ???

Well, unicodes for different dashes exist (see here).

But it’s a bit of a non sequitur since we’re discussing domain names where you’d only use the n-dash hyphen. As Jo said, it’s a meatspace problem rather than an online problem.

ETA: I always like discussing language/linguistics/grammar-type stuff though.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I think my point about possible confusion has been made. It’s not about being wrong or right but rather removing potential problems. I prefer to remove as many as possible early on.

A writer will wonder which dash/hyphen/underscore it might be even though your browser will only except – or _. When it comes to printing stationery you may even draw attention to the fact by using an — (—, Em dash) to make it clear in the type font that the domain name is broken by a hyphen. A lot of people will ask if the Hyphen is the “Minus” key or something else when told verbally.

There is one further small little problem. Hyphenated words may be broken onto a new line if the end of the line is reached. It can mean you could actually get this… http://www.mydomain-
    name.com

The domain name is now broken. It is a slight problem but one nevertheless. Notice how the board has automatically treated half of the name as a domain by creating a link and the rest as text.

Again, I’ve stated what can be an issue and the rest is a matter of opinion and preference. It is good to be made aware of things in order to make an informed decision.

Jo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash

HodagMedia
    Participant

@russell wrote:

@hodagmedia wrote:

@russell wrote:

Well, unicodes for different dashes exist (see here).

But it’s a bit of a non sequitur since we’re discussing domain names where you’d only use the n-dash hyphen. As Jo said, it’s a meatspace problem rather than an online problem.

ETA: I always like discussing language/linguistics/grammar-type stuff though.

Thanks Interesting – And Jo too:

And I have some type setting / paste-up background from the days before digital. Using the blue galleys in fact. I showed someone how we used to do it and she was pretty aghast. “You mean you cut that up with a scissors and glued it all down?” 🙂 What started it was, I found my favorite pair of scissors, which were surgical shears, maybe 1 1/2 inch blades. That’s what I like best for paste-up.

One poetry magazine was hand set with cold type, printed on a letterpress. Kind of an art thing, labor intensive, hand assembled, but the finished product was classy. Imagine the ladies basement with pages hanging on strings across the whole room. Drying. It was great fun.

My Brother had a working Linotype machine in his garage in CA. He’d get calls for work now and then. Took up one parking place.

When all the good names are gone, hyphens, dashes, minus signs (which are all the same thing) are an alternative to run on words, which may stick together better, but are even harder to spell. Advantages and disadvantages to everything with these options. Weight them and decide.

If it wasn’t for trying to be found, by associated words and concepts, any jumble of letters will do, shorter the better. Something with a catchy name. I still think it’s odd that Bing wasn’t taken, or they bought it? Veer? Hmm, all kinds of things. Twitter? Quite appropriate and matching.

Gizex.Com works for one of mine that’s not photo. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.