Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

When I was a kid I remember seeing the Ten Commandments starring Yul Brynner and Charlton Heston. It was a pretty cool movie for its time.

I got a bit older and I learned “Oh, ok, Pharoah didn’t realy survive the flood and go back to an empty kingdom…he died in the Red Sea” but it was still a forgivable Hollywood embellishment.

So I went to see the new Noah movie with a similar expectation – some embellishment but still a generally accurate-to-account movie.

If your a Lord of the Rings fan definitely see this movie. Apparently there were rock monsters before the flood… Russel Crow didn’t have to change characters very much from the character he played in “a Beautiful Mind”…he even gets the same wife and loses his mind again when he’s on the ark. Maybe it was all the drugs they used to sedate the animals (all of which look like pre-evolved versions of modern day animals).

Normally I try to be respectful with people’s beliefs, but this movie doesn’t actually reflect anyone’s beliefs — unless watching Gandalf parting the red sea with a wizard’s staff has become a new norm I’ve missed. Honestly that only starts the the commentary on this very strange movie.

I’m surprised people don’t use this off-topic forum more. It might be refreshing!

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I got a bit older and I learned “Oh, ok, Pharoah didn’t realy survive the flood and go back to an empty kingdom…he died in the Red Sea”…

I don’t believe that the Bible indicates if Pharaoh was killed or not.

@leo wrote:

So I went to see the new Noah movie with a similar expectation – some embellishment but still a generally accurate-to-account movie.

Most accounts of the movie that I have read indicate that the movie added a great deal of “artistic license” to the original story.

You can read more here:

http://time.com/42274/ken-ham-the-unbiblical-noah-is-a-fable-of-a-film/

@leo wrote:

Apparently there were rock monsters before the flood…

That is another “embellishment” by the movie. The “rock monsters” are supposed to be the Nephilim (see Genesis 6:4). The Hebrew word Nephal means “to fall” and Nephilim means “fallen ones”. In other words, the Nephilim were fallen angels. The Hebrew term “sons of God” (used in Genesis 6:2 and 6:4) also means “angels”. These fallen angels came to Earth and fornicated with human women. This corrupted the “seed” of man and before long, the human race was in peril. This is why God created the Flood. You can read about this in “The Book of Enoch” (http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/boe009.htm), an extra-Biblical book.

@leo wrote:

…this movie doesn’t actually reflect anyone’s beliefs —

I have to disagree. The movie was named “Noah”, which is obviously based upon the character in the Old Testament. If they wanted to make a secular movie, they could have easily just called it “The Flood” or something similar.

Profile photo of shotupdave
    shotupdave
    Participant

While in religous school and studying the scriptures in Hebrew. I never heard The Nephilim as fallen angels. Only in the re-writing of the bible by later early Christians did they become fallen angels.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@shazamimages wrote:

@leo wrote:

I got a bit older and I learned “Oh, ok, Pharoah didn’t realy survive the flood and go back to an empty kingdom…he died in the Red Sea”…

first, it’s not clear when the moses stuff was supposed to have happened — so there are several possibilities for who was pharaoh — but all potential pharaohs have tombs in the valley of the kings, and there are no contemporary records of any pharaoh or his army being destroyed. there are contemporaneous accounts for the period -1500 -1100 BCE that document Egypt’s conflicts with Hittites, Hyksos, peoples from the sea et al

the bible doesn’t start to have any historical credibility until much later, eg the Babylonian captivity, and even then the bibilical accounts were written long after the time they purport to describe

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@ ShazamImages thanks for the references. I had always read the translation “fellers” (causing people to fall, or bullying) but I didn’t realize it was also tranlsated “fallen” in other renditions. Depending on which one is correct, it changes everything!

Btw Psalms 136:25 talks about Pharoah going down with the rest of his army in the red sea.

Its nice seeing the Symbiostocker’s insights outside of Stock photo! There is a whole group of multi-talented individuals here.

I had learned that the fallen angels cohabited with women they took, and their sons were the giants – simply a larger human with a bully attitude.

http://www.nwcreation.net/nephilim.html

We were standing in line at the movie and there were lots of older people and families with children lined up to see it. Several older people walked out of the theater about the time the rock monsters were introduced. When Noah had an flood-escapee on the ark, the sons had no wives on the ark, and Noah was contemplating killing a baby, we decided to trickle our family out to a bathroom break that we didn’t come back from 😕 My littlest son was absolutely tickled over the rock monsters battling the people trying to hyjack the ark though 😛 …I was waiting for Legolas to come out with his bow and take a nice sniper position from on top of the ark, but instead we switched over to Methusela digging for berries in the ground. When he finally found one he put it in his mouth and braced himself to ride a wave through the magic-eden-forest they had planted.

Guys if we ever make an extra $125 million on Symbiostock lets make an accurate Noah movie, and use the profits to make a few more corrected bible movies. Apparently the trend is up on this subject! But heck if we can’t rescue stock photo we are certainly not going to touch holywood! ( I hope my humor doesn’t offend )

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

@shazamimages wrote:

@leo wrote:

first, it’s not clear when the moses stuff was supposed to have happened — so there are several possibilities for who was pharaoh — but all potential pharaohs have tombs in the valley of the kings, and there are no contemporary records of any pharaoh or his army being destroyed. there are contemporaneous accounts for the period -1500 -1100 BCE that document Egypt’s conflicts with Hittites, Hyksos, peoples from the sea et al

the bible doesn’t start to have any historical credibility until much later, eg the Babylonian captivity, and even then the bibilical accounts were written long after the time they purport to describe

Now I see why your portfolio is so diverse and historic! You guys have been holding out on us.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

some of my earliest interactions were in the CompuServe religion-history forums (and for some reason shareware forums) — that era of history has always fascinated me, though my atheism was confirmed long before that -0- but the history & philosophical aspects are endlessly intriguing. we’ve been able to explore many of these sites in travels to turkey, iran and india

http://cascoly.com/bookstore/critical-thinking.asp

http://cascoly.com/bookstore/noahs-flood.asp

http://cascoly.com/creation.asp

as a scientist I’ve always been interested in the backlash against evolution. esp’ly in schools, and have participated in many discussion on these lines — for too long scientists assumed the fact of evolution was too Iobvious to need special action, but the US has a long history of anti – intellectualism and anti-science biases in general

the result has been a population that doesn’t understand or accept basic scientific concepts like global warming or the germ ththeory of disease

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

some of my earliest interactions were in the CompuServe religion-history forums (and for some reason shareware forums) — that era of history has always fascinated me, though my atheism was confirmed long before that -0- but the history & philosophical aspects are endlessly intriguing. we’ve been able to explore many of these sites in travels to turkey, iran and india

as a scientist I’ve always been interested in the backlash against evolution. esp’ly in schools, and have participated in many discussion on these lines — for too long scientists assumed the fact of evolution was too obvious to need special action, but the US has a long history of anti – intellectualism and anti-science biases in general

the result has been a population that doesn’t understand or accept basic scientific concepts like global warming or the germ theory of disease

shotupdave
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

as a scientist I’ve always been interested in the backlash against evolution. esp’ly in schools, and have participated in many discussion on these lines — for too long scientists assumed the fact of evolution was too obvious to need special action, but the US has a long history of anti – intellectualism and anti-science biases in general

the result has been a population that doesn’t understand or accept basic scientific concepts like global warming or the germ theory of disease

Well put Steve, I could not said it better myself.

Profile photo of ShazamImages
    ShazamImages
    Participant

@shotupdave wrote:

While in religous school and studying the scriptures in Hebrew. I never heard The Nephilim as fallen angels. Only in the re-writing of the bible by later early Christians did they become fallen angels.

I’m not sure where you got this from, but the word Nephilim is in the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament. The word Nephilim is actually a Hebrew word. While most names in the Bible are transliterated or translated (such as Jesus), in most Bibles this Hebrew word was left in the original Hebrew.

For example, the NIV states

Genesis 6:4
    “The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.”

Here is the original Hebrew text of Genesis 6:4:

הַנְּפִלִים הָיוּ בָאָרֶץ בַּיָּמִים הָהֵם וְגַם אַחֲרֵי־כֵן אֲשֶׁר יָבֹאוּ בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים אֶל־בְּנוֹת הָאָדָם וְיָלְדוּ לָהֶם הֵמָּה הַגִּבֹּרִים אֲשֶׁר מֵעוֹלָם אַנְשֵׁי הַשֵּׁם׃

As you can see (since you stated that you studied the scriptures in Hebrew), the first word (on the right in bold) is the word Nephilim.

The root of the word comes from the Hebrew word “nafal”, which means “to fall” (see here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=H5307&t=NASB).

Another clue that shows that they were fallen angels is the term “sons of God” used in the same verse. This is a Hebrew term (b’ney Elohiym) that is used in other places in the Bible (Job 1:6, Job 2:1, Job 38:7) and is always translated as “angels”.

I would like to write more, but I have a meeting that I need to attend…

shotupdave
    Participant

I deleted a post I put up. I am not going to debate this. You have your opinion I have mine, we are never going to agree.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

What is your background?

I appreciate everyones comments. I don’t ever expect people to agree on a subject like this. :mrgreen:

@shazamimages wrote:

@shotupdave wrote:

I’m not sure where you got this from, but the word Nephilim is in the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament. The word Nephilim is actually a Hebrew word. While most names in the Bible are transliterated or translated (such as Jesus), in most Bibles this Hebrew word was left in the original Hebrew.

For example, the NIV states

“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.”

Here is the original Hebrew text of Genesis 6:4:

הַנְּפִלִים הָיוּ בָאָרֶץ בַּיָּמִים הָהֵם וְגַם אַחֲרֵי־כֵן אֲשֶׁר יָבֹאוּ בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים אֶל־בְּנוֹת הָאָדָם וְיָלְדוּ לָהֶם הֵמָּה הַגִּבֹּרִים אֲשֶׁר מֵעוֹלָם אַנְשֵׁי הַשֵּׁם׃

As you can see (since you stated that you studied the scriptures in Hebrew), the first word (on the right in bold) is the word Nephilim.

The root of the word comes from the Hebrew word “nafal”, which means “to fall” (see here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=H5307&t=NASB).

Another clue that shows that they were fallen angels is the term “sons of God” used in the same verse. This is a Hebrew term (b’ney Elohiym) that is used in other places in the Bible (Job 1:6, Job 2:1, Job 38:7) and is always translated as “angels”.

I would like to write more, but I have a meeting that I need to attend…

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@leo wrote:

…..
    Now I see why your portfolio is so diverse and historic! You guys have been holding out on us.

diverse, historic and low demand! history’s always been of interest to me, esp’ly when traveling — on the coming trip to Turkey we’ll go back 14,000 years in gobekli tepe, feed Abraham’s carp in harran, , trace alexander’s route thru Anatolia and explore greek, roman & Islamic ruins

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.