Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

This is a dedicated thread for those converting over to the metamorphosis version. 2.8.2 Is the stable version, and any remaining fixes are insignificant and will not affect those converting from this point on.

Most questions you may have are easily answered, and there are many here to help you! 🙂

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I currently have the following configuration:
    Symbiostock 2.6.5
    Child theme 0.1.0
    Pro plugin
    Sitemap plugin
    Syxtra plugin

Is there anything specific I need to know to upgrade or just do it the same as always? I recall seeing there were some Syxtra conflicts. Should I deactivate that before upgrading?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I would deactivate Syxtra until Plrang gives it some attention again.

If you don’t have any heavy child theme implentations, you should be fine to just upgrade. Be sure to refresh your browser (retrieving the new style sheet) first thing when you view the new site.

Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

@klsbear wrote:

I currently have the following configuration:
    Symbiostock 2.6.5
    Child theme 0.1.0
    Pro plugin
    Sitemap plugin
    Syxtra plugin

Is there anything specific I need to know to upgrade or just do it the same as always? I recall seeing there were some Syxtra conflicts. Should I deactivate that before upgrading?

I just updated mine today from exactly what you have. I did forget to deactivate Syxtra and it caused me a little time trying to figure out why things were not aligning right. I also had done some customization to my site which caused issues so I started over. Here is what made mine go smooth.

1. Activated another theme such as Twenty-Twelve.
    2. Renamed both symbiostock and symbiostock-child folders
    3. Installed new version of Symbiostock fresh and activated.
    4. Installed fresh new symbiostock-child theme and activated it.
    5. Started playing with customizations built into 2.8.2 and set to my liking.

I do not think I missed anything. It really was pretty easy when I got out of my own way. Of course all my image files, my slider, my menu, my licenses, and all the important stuff was in tact and I just had to get everything setup cosmetically like I liked it. Still tweaking a little but it did not take long to get it pretty much the way I wanted it.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Good deal. While your still setting up try out this child theme: http://www.symbiostock.com/dragonfly-new-symbiostock-child-theme/

It gives you 11 base appearances to build on and is immune to upgrades 😀

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

I’m not sure all the Dragonfly themes are compatible with the Meta Theme.
    The image page layouts and similar images widgets padding seem to go wonky when trying the different options.

Front page, menus and fonts work OK with several I’ve tried.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Let me know which “offenders” there are so I can look at them. This might be silly, but do a browser refresh every time you switch as well (although I can’t see why you wouldn’t be doing that)

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@tdahl-stock wrote:

Still tweaking a little but it did not take long to get it pretty much the way I wanted it.

Your site looks great, Tim. Very impressive!

Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

@marthamarks wrote:

@tdahl-stock wrote:

Still tweaking a little but it did not take long to get it pretty much the way I wanted it.

Your site looks great, Tim. Very impressive!

Thank you very much Martha, appreciate the compliment. I really love this new version of the theme.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Let me know which “offenders” there are so I can look at them. This might be silly, but do a browser refresh every time you switch as well (although I can’t see why you wouldn’t be doing that)

I tried the theme and had to revert back. While I was testing I had someone report back to me what my site looked like and that it wasn’t displaying properly. They had a long list of menus and things down the left had side of the screen and nothing else. They sent me screenshots and it was IE9 or 10 perhaps. Looks like IE9 but since I don’t have 10, it may look similar.

I found that I couldn’t get rid or change the top menu and too many changes had to be made so I just went back to the old theme which works for me. The top menu seems to default to the theme default menu and won’t change.

Hope this helps.

Jo

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Jo, when you were in menus did you tick any of the boxes to say where they appear . The ones that show below the menu items and above Save? I created a new Above Header menu item and used that.

I found that helped – then going back to appearance, customise (it is s and not z :D) Navigation, and making sure they are still correct in Navigation.

I did this in my live and testing sites and Mark’s site yesterday – his only took me a couple of minutes, my first one took much longer to work out how to get rid of that long list of pages.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@christine wrote:

Jo, when you were in menus did you tick any of the boxes to say where they appear . The ones that show below the menu items and above Save? I created a new Above Header menu item and used that.

I found that helped – then going back to appearance, customise (it is s and not z :D) Navigation, and making sure they are still correct in Navigation.

I did this in my live and testing sites and Mark’s site yesterday – his only took me a couple of minutes, my first one took much longer to work out how to get rid of that long list of pages.

Honestly, I just didn’t have time to sit for too long. The unfortunate side of fiddling is that my site is live LOL! I must set up a temporary directory to play with custom stuff in so the public doesn’t see the screwy bits 🙂

Jo

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I currently have 2.6.5 and am trying to update.

How do I get rid of that huge orange bar at the top of the home page? I am not finding anything in the Customize section that makes it go away and I front page to be filled with great images, not blank orange space

JoRodrigues
    Participant

That huge orange bar is because of your menu. Press Control + A and you will see the text under the search.

Jo

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Thanks – I already had a menu I could see – white text on the awful orange – so I didn’t realize that when in customize it showed — for other menus I didn’t want, that would show a menu.

FWIW Leo, I can’t see why the default out of the box (I didn’t do anything to make it this way) is orange menu on an orange background – you can’t see that you have a menu, so there’s no clue that the menu is what’s messing up the layout.

So now I have a small orange bar. There’s a Custom Header section, but that says nothing about color, just about showing an image (I actually want my slider up there, but I’ve got that in a widget for now).

I also don’t see anywhere the choices of looks for Dragonfly that Leo mentioned (slate and the other 10 “looks”) – have I missed something?

My site looks awful out of the box. I was hoping this might be easier than the first time around, but it looks like it’s another long haul. I have to say that this makes me leery of ever updating again…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.