Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I figure with all you photo-pros around here I can ask an important question (applies to upload filenames)

If the file something.jpeg gets changed to something.jpg (or the other way around) does it affect anything? Software? Recognition? Anything at all?

Very important. Need to know 😀

Leo

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I can generate a .jpg-file in Photoshop, rename a copy to .JPEG and everything is fine, just like before. But I know at least one gateway in a network (I do network administration for a local shop in my town, which is connected via VPN to some other shops around here) which will accept .jpeg and nothing else … so yes there are surroundings where it might matter. Not sure whether this helps 😕

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

In general, it’s best to leave the extension alone – if you are given .jpeg, use that, and if .jpg use that. It’s OK to have a default if there’s no extension on an incoming file (but that’s a highly unlikely case).

There are some environments that use the extension to determine file type and there’s no telling how things could get messed up in advance if you force one or the other.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.