Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scooty
    scooty
    Participant

Hi
    Just about to dive in and start a symbiostock adventure!

Setting up with bluehost – but hesitant on the options

Does anyone have any recommendations

ie

Sitelock
    Sitebackup pro
    Search engine jumpstart
    whois privacy etc

Or is some of the above included in the pro package?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I use Justhost and had similar options. The only one I went for was the privacy although I do have an address on my site. Sitebackup pro I think just means you can backup and restore certain files but otherwise is exactly the same as non pro.

PS Welcome to Symbiostock 🙂

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of dianajo
    dianajo
    Participant

I’ve paid for nothing beyond my 3 years of hosting. I run regularly backups and download a copy of my databases periodically.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

I’ll “ditto” Christine’s welcome, Scooty. We’re glad to have you with us!

In June, I signed up for 3 years at the cheapest Bluehost level and paid extra for the Backup Pro. But even with few images up, my site was verrrrrry sluggish. So after a month I decided to up the level of service to the $19.95/mo plan, which includes Backup Pro and has many fewer sites sharing the server space. The 1-year cost for the upgraded server with included backup turned out to be about the same as the cheap 3-year plan with extra backup. I don’t know if the extra cost is worth it, but my site really does seem faster now that I’m not sharing the server with many hundreds (thousands?) of other sites. I have over 1000 images up and it’s perkier than it was with 50 on the cheaper plan.

Even tho I get the Backup Pro included with Bluehost, I don’t trust it to do the job. So several months back, when I realized how much work I was going to be putting into my site, I decided to invest in an outside backup service, VaultPress, which provides hourly backups that I trust and don’t have to fuss with. To me, the convenience and peace of mind are worth the cost.

When I first signed up, I also took the Site Lock feature, but I’m not sure if it’s worth anything or not. Mostly, it seems to reassure prospective buyers that they won’t get some dreaded virus by using my site. Is that worth the cost? Who knows???

Good luck with the exciting project ahead of you.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

Hi and welcome!

I went with none of the options. I’m on a tight budget and a bad exchange rate. I do my own backups which isn’t too hard I think. I set up a separate email for the whois to reduce spam. I was used to a free privacy on whois. I don’t think it should be a paid service to be honest.

I’ve got 250 images on my site so far and I find the server is quick enough on my end. I just signed up for a year in case I didn’t like the service. I also didn’t find the saving worth the 3 year investment. If after my year in business I am doing ok then I’ll do a 3 year deal 🙂

Jo

Profile photo of scooty
    scooty
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome and the advice

The Pro option might be a good way to go

Any suggestions about the search engine jumpstart? From the little general research I have done so far on website design it seems unnecessary

Thanks again

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@scooty wrote:

Any suggestions about the search engine jumpstart? From the little general research I have done so far on website design it seems unnecessary

Thanks again

I use justhost and their backup system is good

don’t buy any seo from hosts — yoast and leo’s sitemap plugin are the way to go — add them from within your site; also set up google webmaster tools to submit your sitemap

Profile photo of scooty
    scooty
    Participant

Thanks again all

It has taken me about a week of searching and thinking about these items

I wonder if it is worth precising some of this as a sticky for other newsymbies?

I may well be back in the next couple of weeks with more questions

Steve

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@scooty wrote:

Thanks again

I don’t know if it is because of BlueHost or SymbioStock or both but two days after I registered my domain I accidentally saw it listed on page two of google search. It’s still there if you search for “Stock Image”.

So chose your domain name wisely. I took me a day of trying names to hit on one that wasn’t registered and the closet thing to “Stock Image”. 😀

I wasn’t live on the SymbioStock network so I think BlueHost submits new domains on auto or is VERY well indexed with Google LOL!

Within a few days of going live on Symbio I’ve already got pages such as bio indexed on Google. I’d look at Leo’s Premium plugins. I think the sitemap one is worth the price it but what do I know? 🙂

Jo

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

The only thing I dont like about Blue Host is that the site is slow. On good days, its still just a bit too slow for my liking, on bad days it can take up to 10-15 seconds for the site to load.

Profile photo of scooty
    scooty
    Participant

Semmick

Are you on the basic package or pro as marthamarks mentioned did you go pro?

Profile photo of scooty
    scooty
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

The only thing I dont like about Blue Host is that the site is slow. On good days, its still just a bit too slow for my liking, on bad days it can take up to 10-15 seconds for the site to load.

I just carried out a very unscientific survey and your site takes a count of 10 to open – I tried it – twice!

I then clicked on the sys link of all of the other kind responders to my original post and they all opened to a count of 3

Is everyone that is on bluehost above on pro or basic?

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I am on justhost basic, my site was very slow yesterday though, okay today

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

JoRodrigues
    Participant

I’m on the BlueHost basic. Cheapest option whatever it’s called. Sometimes we (South Africa) do experience some latency right down at the bottom end of Africa here but I am not really having problems with BlueHost. Ftp is upload speed is REALLY fast! Page loads is pretty good.

Jo

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

That’s still much better than iStock 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.