Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I looked at my CPU usage on bluehost and there is a lot of throttling going on. Anyone got any ideas?
    I uploade a total of like 5 images yesterday. That shouldn’t be the issue.

Profile photo of ajt
    ajt
    Participant

You can try to disable network for few hours and compare results. Our sites are visited very often by bots (crawlers from Google and many other search engines). Every time bot is visiting site (and searching for keyword), site performs also network search and this is consuming much time. This function, I mean network search during crawler visits, can be disabled in future version. Maybe it would hurt SEO a bit and maybe not, because most important for SEO is image pages indexing.
    XML cache helps to reduce CPU time used for waiting for network results. Maybe you have set too short time – go to Bee->Network page and enter at least 14 (better 20-30) in “days cache network search”. Result should be seen after a week or more.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve been away for a couple of weeks and not really following things, but I looked at my own CPU throttling on Bluehost today.

I had it every day from about 6am EST for 4-5 hours back in September, and unfortunately it is still there, starts at 6am, throttles about 600 – 1200 seconds and hour (about 25% of the time), and drops off after 6 hours or so.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Have I missed any discussions about what is causing it? I’m still on Symbio 2.6.5.

Steve

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I would like to know what throttling means, last time I checked (probably the last time someone mentioned it) I had been throttled for 3600 seconds every hour for 22 hours (surprising I was still alive ! :D) during that time I had uploaded some images and worked on them – other people had visited with no problems so I wonder what it actually means.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I think it means that your site is using more than its “fair share” of the resources of the server and so the amount of CPU processing time your site gets is restricted. As a result, the site probably runs slower than it otherwise would – things should all work, but be slower.

That is my best understanding!

I originally got onto this because my site was taking 12 – 20 seconds to load a page, and when I complained, the tech told me that the site was being throttled. It is faster now – about 6 – 8 seconds on average.

Steve

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

I originally got onto this because my site was taking 12 – 20 seconds to load a page, and when I complained, the tech told me that the site was being throttled. It is faster now – about 6 – 8 seconds on average.

Steve

Did you do something to improve the speed?

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I was throttled for over 1200 seconds in the last 24 hours. I might give bluehost a nudge about it.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

On the speed question – no, I didn’t. I assume that the overall load on the server went down or something. I felt I couldn’t complain while my site was doing something in the background that was causing an overload itself.

On the seconds – I am talking about 1200 seconds each hour on my site, not per day.

Steve

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

Today mine has been throttled for about 2300 second, but most of it from midnight to 5 am. I wonder if that is when some of the Symbiostock network processes occur? Does Google indexing impact that too?

I moved to VPS to stop the throttling. However, as a warning to anyone else thinking to do the same if you have Imajick installed it will default back to GD library. Now I am trying to work out how to get Imajick installed again!

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

@steveh wrote:

I think it means that your site is using more than its “fair share” of the resources of the server and so the amount of CPU processing time your site gets is restricted. As a result, the site probably runs slower than it otherwise would – things should all work, but be slower.

Thank you for the explanation – that makes sense

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.