Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tobias
    Tobias
    Participant

I’d like to import and display hundreds of photos. To manage all those files I need a structure in the ss_media folder on the server. How can I get the possibility to upload photos to a system like ss_media/categories/galleries/files? And it must be possibible to handle the files in the media library

It would be great to import them directly via ftp to the folders on the server, or – the better way – with a plugin for Lightroom

Thank you

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Tobias

I’ve currently got 5300 images live on my site. I manage all my files in Lightroom, so I know what I have uploaded and what is still to upload via collections. I then upload the chosen images by FTP and add categories to them in Symbiostock. I never need to look at the actual ss_media folder as I can search for an image using its keywords and do whatever edits I want to those in the Media section.

I’m not sure why you would want a folder structure in that folder?

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Tobias,

As Steve has pointed out, everything is database driven and controlled through WordPress. As the ss_media directory serves only as a repository, there is currently no way of organizing data within it via directories.

With Symbiostock 2.0 you can now import Lightroom supplementary categories as well, so that would probably be the best way of organizing your photos. You can upload them all via FTP to ss_media/new and they will get moved into ss_media, organized within Symbiostock in accordance with your category structures.

And of course there are benefits to it being database driven; you can have images in multiple categories, delete categories, add new ones, and you don’t have to do any file moving.

If you can explain the purpose behind keeping them in directories maybe I can give more advice.

Profile photo of Tobias
    Tobias
    Participant

Thank you for your replies!

Steveh mentioned about 5000 photos, roughly the amount of photos I intend to upload. With an average file size of 10 to 15 MB you get easily a volume of 50GB+ in one folder. Whenever you have to work with the server, even for a backup…this is a bit too much. Btw: Also WP is importing the files to different folders. At least per month…

Of course, it is possible to manage the files with the media interface.

Concerning the ftp upload out of LR, I didn’t try it so far, I’ll report.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Are you backing stuff up manually or automatically?

rsync should do a stand up job no matter how big the directory is. I backup directories with 200GB of data daily, so it should really not be of issue.

Unfortunately, I don’t fully understand what the issue is so I can’t offer advice. In my Symbiostock install, for example, I never look in ss_media; I have no reason to. I just back it up along with the rest of the site using rsync.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’m the same – I wrote a blog post about how I backup my Symbio site:

http://www.backyardsilver.com/2015/08/how-to-backup-your-symbiostock-photo-agency-website/

Once they are on my hard drive, I also back them up to Google Drive and to a second hard drive, so I’m triply protected. But as Robin says, I have never felt the need to look at the ss_media folder on my web server.

Steve

Profile photo of Tobias
    Tobias
    Participant

Ok,  I have to get used to your way of using the system. I’ll try! Thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.