Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of George Sheldon
    George Sheldon
    Participant

I may have found a solution to sell prints (and e-cards) from our individual Symbiostock sites. For the past couple of days, I have been experimenting with the FotoMoto plugin – and so far, it is working and playing nicely with Symbiostock. But I am still testing configurations.

It adds a Buy Prints | ECard | Download button under your image (Of course, I turned off the download option.)

Good things to report: to get started, you need a FotoMoto account (free and easy to setup).
    Bad things: it takes a little time to get it setup on your site. If you follow the instructions, you will be able to do it.
    More to consider: You get to set your print prices – and they will even fulfill orders for you or you can do that yourself. Your decision, of course. The free account costs you 22% of the sale. if you want to pay a monthly fee, you can get that down to 10% of the sale.

Still working on prices – when I have that figured out, I will make my prints option visible on my site.

George

Interesting George.

Symbiostock itself can be configured to sell physical prints. I did that on my site http://cityscapeprints.com/product/louvre-museum/ except a little bit more work to replace the phrase ‘license’ with ‘prints’.

Not sure how good the printing cost of the platform you talked about. I did not sign on and did not find the info. I ever use smugmug, zenfolio and FAA (still on FAA). Their cost is high. That scared away a lot of buyers and leave very little profit margin. That’s why I decide to fullfill the order with my friends.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

How do you tell FotoMoto to use the unwatermarked full size file for the print fulfillment?

George Sheldon
    Participant

Andre,
    There at two options in the control panel – you can choose automatic or manual processing. If you choose automatic, you tell Fotomoto where the files are. I chose manual, for the time being.

George

Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

I went with using the Symbiostock way, also. It allows fulfillment by whoever is best (quality and price) at the time. I have found several acceptable vendors that give great sales fairly often and the best price can vary at any given time. True, it does require manual processing, but unfortunately that is not a problem right now.  If sales volume ever gets high enough I might want to go with a set fulfillment and automated processing, but for now this way seems best to me.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I think the main issue is probably finding a fulfillment partner that can print and/or ship world wide.

Absolutely. More profit more work. Good to try. Just like we try Symbiostock.

George Sheldon
    Participant

Supposedly, if you allow FotoMoto to fulfill, they will pass off the fulfillment to one of their lab partners, and they choose the one closest to the customer. I assume that if you with auto-fulfillment, you can choose the lab.

George

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

One of the reviewers (in fact the only one) of the plugin on wordpress.org says it’s not mobile friendly/compatible.
    I was a little shocked when I noticed at visitor and ad campaign statistics that 80% (eighty) of my visitors/responders were using mobile devices. Looks like the desktop/laptop is no longer the device of choice for most users.

Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

Question for all – how many different image sizes and options are you providing? I am trying to decide where to draw the line between providing everything that might be possible and a practical number of options.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.