Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gameover
    gameover
    Participant

I’m almost ready with my two stock-image websites; without Symbiostock I couldn’t have done them: the automation image->image-page saves an enormous amount of time.
    I would appreciate your attention and your evaluation as I’d like very much to enter among the symzios.
    However I must confess to having a serious problem accepting your one-time license. I see that you abandoned the one-time formula in the extended license, which I find very wise.
    As a matter of fact over 20 years of customer psychology and my personal experience as an image buyer (I purchase regularly editorial and commercial images on behalf of my customers) strongly recommend not to impose a ‘one time use license’ upon the customer-to-be, who might be discouraged by it and click away before ever seeing whatever interesting the site has to offer (“why, by Fotolia I can buy the same image at more or less the same price but there I can use it as many times as I wish!”).
    Which, by the way, seldom occurs: each application has its own requirements and it would take a very inexperienced amateur to recycle the same image just to save a fistful of $ – no woman would ever wear the same dress at two gala soireés 🙂
    I really hope that your policy is flexible enough not to reject me just because of that and let me sell also by you my own way.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi

Canva seems to be doing very well with one time licenses. However, we did have a long set of discussions when Symzio was launched and decided on the single use small size file for one-off web use and the full RF file for all other uses. So we do, in effect have both single use and RF available. You get to choose the price for the RF full size file – the small one is coded into the system in effect. Robin would have to speak to this, but I can’t see how we could change this without making it complex for the buyer with different licenses depending on the contributor. Of course, you can sell whatever you want on your own site.

Steve

gameover
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Thank you for answering and clarifying the use of licenses in Symzio.
    I agree that Canva is doing very well, but you will concur that it isn’t exactly a stock photo agency: what they offer is an extremely attractive and (so far) unique design service. Do you think that there is a real, affordable stock photo agency that enforces single-licensing?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I agree – Canva is somewhat special in its approach. I think I agree with you that there aren’t other major stock agencies with this approach, apart from the RM sites. I’m not sure anyone here has the ability to enforce a single use license, although it does help sell images that are RM elsewhere (although the RF license on the full size image does make that a bit more tricky! I don’t know if this single use license is an issue or not to be honest – I haven’t sold anything in a long time unfortunately!

gameover
    Participant

I suppose that the big agencies are nearly unbeatable as far as the choice they offer is concerned – it’s a matter of millions of images. But that’s just one side of the dice: their service is impersonal.
    On the contrary we small fishes, while we won’t ever be able to have a comparable amount of pictures, can afford to offer plenty of collateral services: for instance I was considering to launch a service for bloggers: image + personalized content. Another possibility: pictures and/or photoservices on demand.
    The very question is how to take the best possible advantage of the situation – maybe we’ll be able to change a minus to a plus: the limit is only set by our imagination.
    By the way, Steve: you have a very popular blog aimed at photographers; would you considered launching another one dedicated to image buyers and users? Perhaps the popularity will prove contagious…

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I would be interested in collaborating on that new blog – I’m obviously a photographer so know less about the needs of buyers apart from what I sort of work out by thinking about it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.