Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of George Sheldon
    George Sheldon
    Participant

Because of the current position of ss_media, it does not get an auto-backup with products like Updraft. If ss_media were in the WP_Uploads folder, the images would be part of the regular backups.

Profile photo of Chrisroll
    Chrisroll
    Participant

Hi Georges,

I had the same problem with ss_media and Updraft.
    I make now my backups with shell script and cron job (I’ll soon post an article on my website about it).

But you can also sync and backup your ss_media directory with Syncbackfree (it’s free) :
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html.
    The pro version enable you to send your backups to Cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox…)

Hope it can help…

Profile photo of George Sheldon
    George Sheldon
    Participant

Chrisroll,

Thanks for the info. When you have ypur article posted, please add your link here.  I’d like to read it.

George

Chrisroll
    Participant

I will do !
    After checking, the Pro Version of syncback doesn’t allow to directly send your backup to cloud.
    You need to download backups on your computer first .

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

We’ll look into this.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi George,

One way you can do this is by moving the ss_media folder into “wp-content/uploads/” and then create a symbolic link to it.

This command will do this if you’re in the root of your WordPress installation:

sudo mv ss_media wp-content/uploads/; ln -s wp-content/uploads/ss_media ss_media

Breakdown of command:

• sudo mv ss_media wp-content/uploads/ = Move the folder ss_media to the wp-content/uploads directory
    • ln -s wp-content/uploads/ss_media ss_media = Create a symbolic link (Slightly similar to a Windows shortcut) that will point ss_media to it’s new location
    • The command can be pasted in one line

If you use .htaccess make sure to update it if need be. Also, remember to check permissions, but the ‘mv’ command doesn’t change them, unlike ‘cp’.

Apache/nginx/cron will be none the wiser.

Ross

Chrisroll
    Participant

As promised, an article on WordPress backup with cron job and shell script has been published today on my website :

http://3d-fonts.com/wordpress-site-backup/

English is not my native language, so thanks to alert me if you detect some errors of phrasing and grammar or spelling mistakes in the text on my website post 🙂

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

This will be included in the next release

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.