Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of George Sheldon
    George Sheldon
    Participant

How many sites are you running?  If you have multiple sites, why?

I’ve opted to do everything (blog, image sales, etc.)  from one site.  I had multiple sites, but gave them up because of the work involved  So I guess it is fair to say I have adopted a supersite strategy. What are yu doing – an of course, why?

George

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve got three that I try to maintain, probably for historical reasons more than anything. Obviously I have my symbio site and have just spent the morning putting a “places” category list in place so people can perhaps find some of the images I have of different countries. I then maintain my blog BackyardSilver.com which is under a different URL. I’ve been doing that for about 8 years and so that has a life of its own.

I then created a “portfolio” or fine art site that I am less good at keeping up to date. The idea was that I would put my best images on there as an easy way for me to show off my work. That is at http://www.backyardimage.com

As you can tell, I’ve stuck with the “backyard” theme and even put together a jewelry site for my wife at BackyardArtisan.com! There was probably some logic behind all this once upon a time!

Steve

I have 2 sites.

First one is the stock licensing site http://www.bestcityscape.com with my major collections. The 2nd one is in beta testing and is dedicated to photo prints only http://www.cityscapeprints.com. Prints is quite different business with stock licensing, that’s why I setup this site.

Hopefully the prints business will be running half year later. I have prints store at FAA but their printing cost is ridiculously high. Very few orders placed this year.

Besides, I use social media to do daily promotion such as Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, 500px etc.

Songquan

George Sheldon
    Participant

Steve,

If you had it to do all over, would you still have the multiple sites?  Or would you combine them into a single site?

George

George Sheldon
    Participant

Songquan,

Keep us all posted about your prit site id going.  I went through that phase some time ago, and opted not to keep it going. There were some turnkey options when I was doing that.  I was on Photoshelter, but sold few prints there. It was turnkey. I sold prints direct, which I had to then process the order.  More work per sale, but more profit, too.  First thing you have to decide is how you want to process those orders.  Best way I found to sell prints (with maximum profit) was at art shows. That’s a ton of work, though.

I assume Smugmug is still an option.  I am sure there are others., too. My guess is that most of us on here want a prints option.

Why did you choose a second site and URL? Just curious.

George

George,

Good information for art shows. I might try that in the future. The thing I don’t like those websites is that, the overall traffic might be large but your account might see tiny fraction of it as their are huge number of artists on those sites. To have an independent site gives you the platform to play with promotions. It is true more work is involved but more profits. Anyway it’s good to try something new. If it works, keep it. Otherwise dump it.

Another drawback for sites like Smugmug is that, to add your profit to the already high printing/frame cost, the price customer see is pretty high which scares them away. I am now working with my friends on the printing/frame fullfilment channel. Hopefully those are done by the end of this year.

The reason for 2nd URL is, prints are quite different business than stock licensing. And you cannot mix them together for promotion as the target customer is different. By now, none of the stock photo clients came from social media (they might use facebook to contact me but actually came from shutterstock, 123rf etc.) For prints, I guess social media may be something to try as the clients are ordinary people looking for a photo to hang in their rooms. Plus, the name cityscapeprints.com might help with google search for ‘prints’.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

George – re the question about my sites. I think if I did it again I may have the blog and stock sites combined, but I’m not sure about that to be honest. The demands on servers are very different and if I decided to drop the stock site at some point, it would be much easier to do that if I didn’t have it tied up with my blog and all the posts there.

I guess I am talking myself into keeping the same structure! A bit like Songquan said – different audiences.

Steve

George Sheldon
    Participant

Songquan and Steve:

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
    I’m still trying to think this through. For the past year, I’ve been consolidating, giving up the strategy of multiple sites.

Major companies, not that I think I am one of them, seem to have one site only. Look at companies such as amazon.com, llbean.com, or even BH photo.com.</p>

Amazon.com certainly has many different categories of items they sell, but they do not seem to have any desire to have multiple sites.

BHphoto.com currently sells digital cameras and video cameras, yet they sell it all from one

There was a time when it seemed to make a lot of sense to have separate sites. For example, has a book author, you would have one side, as a photographer another one, and yet another site if you were a speaker too.

There was a line of thinking a few years back that you needed a separate site if you were a wedding photographer as well as a family portrait photographer and yet another site if you were a sports photographer, and so on.

These days, I am not sure that it really necessary to have all the multiple sites. It certainly is a lot more work to maintain many different web sites. Nor am I sure it is best to have multiple sites. So far, it seems that I am having no trouble adopting my main site to include my various services and products that I am offering. I’m currently expanding in that regard, but I’m just curious if it makes sense. It sure seems easier to attract the search engine attention to one site rather than try to get it to go to various sites.

Of course, this seems to be a never-ending experiment, doesn’t it? It will be interesting to see if others to add to this topic, what they are doing.

Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

Songquan,

When you get things set up with your friends I would be interested in seeing quality and pricing. All things being equal, or nearly so, I would much rather give my business to someone starting out than a mega-company.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.