Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of George Sheldon
    George Sheldon
    Participant

How important do you think categories are these days?

Because of search engines, I would guess most potential clients/buyers would find an image via search. Aren’t categories really for browsing?

Yet, does the category mean very much to a search engine? No one would use really general category names, like “man” or “woman” but how specific would you get?

What is your thoughts on category strategy these days?

George

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve tended to add at least one category – partly so that there is some structure for search engines to follow on my site, and partly to give at least one way to look at a bunch of related photos.

But I agree that this is probably not necessary as I think that the chance of someone finding a picture via a category is very small indeed.

I agree most buyers will come in via a direct Google search to the relevant product page.

Steve

George Sheldon
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts, Steve.

It just seems that categories with generic names, such as Landscapes, People, Food, Places, Cities, Business, can’t really do much for us, or can it? When I walk into Walmart, I do go to a specific department. When I shop for gear at BH Photo, I use search and not a department.

I think I am working like you – using categories to keep track of my images. But I wonder if I should.

George

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I think the answer is to not overthink it! One general category on upload of new images allows people to see your latest images in a particular genre if they really want to do that, and, in my case, it gives the home page a bit of a structured way to find some travel photos or editorial photos to look at to give them an idea of my style or range. So worthwhile from that point of view.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I think whenever somebody is not 100% sure what he’s looking for then categories might come into play. Mostly to get inspired by what’s available.
    Let’s say somebody is looking for a generic Christmas image etc.

George Sheldon
    Participant

So do you think it better to have more or less categories?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’m not sure – if you have enough categories to include one for Christmas images, then it is getting hard work in my mind and a greater chance of images needing more than one category. Also, if someone puts christmas in the search box, it pretty much would bring up the same images. So I’m a simple guy and have gone for a simple structure. I have 21 categories, but I think that is actually too many.

George Sheldon
    Participant

Steve,

I have pruned my total number of categories back to 19. I am sure, if I tried, I could have 100. But I am trying to keep it simple, too.

One other thought: I would think that a certain number of potential site visitors/clients/customers will be using a mobile device (iPad, etc.) and the menu/category setup should be easy for them, too. I can’t see building a large, multi-layer category menu system because of the mobile users.

Just my thoughts as I ponder this one…

George

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.