Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Videoopp
    Videoopp
    Participant

Where are we at with WooCommerece?  Is the incompatibility issues with Symbiostock or only if using the Symbiostock EXPRESS theme?

I am using Avada, and it came with WC 2.4.12 and I havn’t noticed any issues.  I would like to upgrade to WC 2.5 as I have licensed a couple of WC plugins and as I need some support with those, I think that they are going to insist that I upgrade to 2.5.

What exactly are the incompatability issues?

Thanks

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Jesper
    Jesper
    Participant

I am using woocommerce 2.6.4 and just installed Symbiostock Pro

No Symbiostock Pro interface in admin appears. The product seems promising for my use, but I need one now (as in ‘one weeks time’) with a client login area. Don’t think the Symbiostock Pro will be ready for my deadline – but I didn’t find Photography Management usefull for my demands, and the Woocommerce’ Photographer plugin (130$ annual for both needed plugins) does not seem too compelling, nor does Sunshine..Any suggestions?

Profile photo of Jesper
    Jesper
    Participant

might just bite the apple and make a test site with 2.5..

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The admin tab does show up in 2.6.4. Perhaps you don’t have Symbiostock Lite installed as well and so Symbiostock Pro is unable to activate. Or perhaps you forgot to activate Pro.

This isn’t to say it is compatible with 2.6.4, but in that capacity it is not an issue. I just tested it on a fresh install.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Also, I just looked at Woocommerce’ Photographer plugin and I am still quite unsure what it does. It clearly says it is not for digital downloads, so I don’t think it has any overlapping functionality to Symbiostock and is something else altogether. Perhaps a way to upload lots of photos which will then create physical products like t-shirts or something.

Which you can certainly do with Symbiostock Pro, but more robustly, and for free.

Profile photo of Jesper
    Jesper
    Participant

that did change the game. I didn’t have the lite vs. installed as you suggested, so deleted the pro and installed the lite and then the pro, and it shows up in the admin now. Thx!

Profile photo of Jesper
    Jesper
    Participant

as I understand Woocommerce’ Photographer it has the benefit of letting your clients log in to a reserved area for that specific client in order to view a solved assignment and order/buy the pictures. Not a stock plugin. Will Symbiostock let me create a login for clients with username and password for each client, in order to view the solved assignment?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

That is potentially a plugin that is in development, but not ready yet. I do not see this functionality within WooCommerce Photography.

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

So it seems we skipped Woocommerce 2.6 completely, which is fine.

Just wondering Robin, any plans to make the plugins compatible with Woocommerce 2.7? It is in beta now: https://woocommerce.wordpress.com/2016/12/15/woocommerce-2-7-beta-1-is-here/ – with a release around February.

3 main reasons why I think it would be good to get it supported:

1. Schema is improved

2. Speed/performance is vastly improved. Especially on stores like ours that can easily have 1000’s of products (mine’s about to pass 3,000). According to the link above, in some areas performance for large stores can be improved by 94%.

3. Image gallery on product pages has been improved. Not sure if this is reliant on a theme being compatible, but if not, it provides zoom and enlarge features, and big improvements on mobile

Anyway, just thought it was worth a mention. Haven’t seen too much lately about development of Symbiostock but hopefully there are plans to keep it moving ahead along with WordPress and WooCommerce.

Cheers.

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Regardless of what purported benefits exist with the new WooCommerce (we are always tantalized to upgrade for the promise of bigger better things) what do you realistically currently need that the current Symbiostock + WooCommerce versions are not providing?

If you can provide clear cut examples of what is lacking that upgrading will provide, and how that may translate to a more robust and effective digital web store, we can take that into account when determining whether it is critical to upgrade to the newer version of WooCommerce.

As web hosts ourselves, it is in our best interests to minimize CPU load on our servers so that we can readily host more customers, and from that perspective the Symbiostock team has not determined there to be any tangible benefit. When they say “94%” it sounds grandiose – does that mean 10 seconds faster or half a millisecond faster?

Thank you very much for bringing this up and sharing with us the details of the new version of WooCommerce.

THPStock
    Participant

Hi Robin,

Im not looking to start an argument, and I’m not saying there is anything major missing currently.

However, I don’t think it should be up to your users necessarily to “provide clear cut examples of what is lacking that upgrading will provide” as you asked. Surely keeping up to date with the underlying software is necessary. I would think that as a developer you would want to continue to improve and refine the product and take advantage of new (albeit small) improvements to WordPress and Woocommerce. Then there is the issue of security as well. Are we going to stay compatible with WooCommerce 2.5 (released around 12 months ago, and soon to be 2 point versions out of date) simply because that was when Symbiostock was last developed? Does the same apply for WordPress itself?

Again, I’m not saying this to cause issues. Or to argue. Im simply concerned that my website that I have invested a lot of time in may not be supported in the near future by Symbiostock if we aren’t at the very least maintaining compatibility with the newer release of WordPress and Woo. I guess I am looking for reassurance that I won’t have to go through the same process of virtually starting from scratch as when the original Symbio was no longer being developed.

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

My query still stands, and we would be happy to look into it if you feel it will translate to a more robust and effective digital web store.

To correct a few incorrect points in your last post:

1) Symbiostock has always been compatible with the newest version of WordPress, without exception.

2) WooCommerce 2.5.5 was released in March, which is approximately 7 months ago.

3) WooCommerce does not set the standard for Symbiostock’s stability – we do.

4) There is no legitimate reason to think that Symbiostock is not being supported or developed. Not all software needs to be upgraded every two weeks. In fact the best software isn’t.

Rest assured that your site is running on great software that will always be boosted with the latest greatest things as is necessary. I understand that there is the desire to optimize one’s site as much as possible so as to increase conversions, but it is likely more effective to spend time and energy towards marketing and networking than abstract (and likely insignificant) technological improvements.

Thanks.

THPStock
    Participant

Thanks for your consideration Robin.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.