Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

With Symbiostock 3.2 we are splitting the plugin into two different versions: Lite and Pro. For the end user, nothing changes as both are still free. 3.2 also introduces a few bug fixes with regards to downloads.

The main difference is that the Pro upgrade is downloaded directly on Symbiostock.org while Lite is available on WordPress.org.

More information about this is here: http://www.symbiostock.org/docs/pro-vs-lite/

For all current users, all you have to do is go and download Pro via the Shop link at the top. Then update your current Symbiostock install to the latest version and then activate Pro. Once everything is running you will then have Lite and Pro running simultaneously.

Note that we are going to be updating Lite shortly and also updating all the premium plugins and themes to work with the new split. So give it a few hours once everything is updated. However, we do recommend you go and download and install Pro as soon as possible. Activate it only once your old version of Symbiostock gives you an update prompt.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Sorry if I’m a little slow but “Pro” means we will still self host or not?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Improved the wording – only difference is you download Pro from Symbiostock.org. Everything is exactly the same except the plugin has been split in two – Lite and Pro. Install both and you’re running exactly as before.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Sorry it’s still a little confusing. Why install both if, for instance, we want to use the Pro version?

And by install both you mean, updating to the Lite version via WP admin area, and uploading and activating the Pro version downloaded from Symbiostock.org. In any particular order?

But I still don’t understand why we want to have 2 versions running. Or ist the “Pro” version an add-on to the “Lite”?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Pro is an add-on to lite. Basically upgrades Lite to the full version that you are used to. So having both running doesn’t add any extra overhead. This way people who just want to use lite have that capability.

And by install both you mean, updating to the Lite version via WP admin area, and uploading and activating the Pro version downloaded from Symbiostock.org. In any particular order?

Exactly as you mentioned it. But first download and install pro without activating so that you are ready to go once Lite is upgraded. Should be seamless.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

OK, thanks for clarification.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey George,

That is an incorrect warning flag – don’t worry about it. It has been fixed but your version does not have it rectified. It will be fixed in the next version for you. Or you can download it again.

Profile photo of Jan
    Jan
    Participant

So, I haven’t updated the plugin yet. It looks like I am on the Lite version now. Somehow things have changed, I can’t change the downloadable images anymore per image.

If you don’t upgrade, symbiostock switches to the Lite version?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It’s been split now – so the full plugin that you are used to uses both Lite and Pro to provide that full functionality. If you just use Lite, it is much more limited.

If you do not install the Pro upgrade, yes, you will remain only with Lite.

Profile photo of Jan
    Jan
    Participant

It looks like I have been downgraded to Lite even though I haven’t pressed some kind of button to do so! Strange!

It might be very clear to people here but I don’t understand this Lite/Pro step. I am just switching my site from the old to the new Symbiostock, thinking of joining Symzio. It’s frustrating to put so much work in the switch and then only to find this happening halfway the process.

Now I have the feeling that the switch to Pro is the the first step to a payed version of Symbiostock. Is that correct?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I found this a little confusing, but this is what I did:

Obtained Pro from the shop and installed it as a zip file without activating

Updated the existing Symbiostock plugin to 3.2.0 and it renamed itself Lite

Activated the Pro plugin to 3.2.0 – the Plugin page then said that an update was available and I updated it from that page – I’m now on 3.2.1.

But – I’m not sure about WooCommerce – the answer to George isn’t clear if the error message is a mistake and we should stay with 2.5.5, or that we should update WooCommerce to 2.6.2. So far I stayed with 2.5.5.

I then updated the Express Theme (uploading to a new folder). It would have been better to have given it a slightly different name, but I think I have now activated the new version. Is there some documentation on what is new in the new Theme – for instance, I made a direct change to one of the files of the old theme to give me a row of Symzio images in the footer area of my image pages – in the new version this is back to being a 2×2 matrix. Is there a way to extend the footer across the page using some setting in Express?

Steve

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

It looks like I have been downgraded to Lite even though I haven’t pressed some kind of button to do so! Strange!

It might be very clear to people here but I don’t understand this Lite/Pro step. I am just switching my site from the old to the new Symbiostock, thinking of joining Symzio. It’s frustrating to put so much work in the switch and then only to find this happening halfway the process.

Now I have the feeling that the switch to Pro is the the first step to a payed version of Symbiostock. Is that correct?

I have the same feeling about offering a paid PRO version in the future but I don’t share your concerns. I think it’s only fair when early supporters of Symbiostock now have the chance to go PRO for free while people who were waiting to jump on a full featured and perfectly running system have to pay for it in the future.

That you’re running into problems at this point is simply based on the fact that you’re coming late to the party. However you’re welcome to ask any constructive questions and people here will try to help.

Profile photo of Jan
    Jan
    Participant

I have this version downloaded via wordpress, no mentioning of Lite or Pro. I am putting a lot of work in converting from old to new. I am thinking of joining Symzio.

I think I am asking a fair question if I ask is the Pro version going to be a paid version. In joining Symzio I know I have to pay my deal if an image gets downloaded via Symzio. Fair. All clear stated on the site. All I want to know is, am I going to get a surprise some day and notice that Symbiostock has been downgraded once again from Pro to Lite because I have to get a paid version.

Just now I am converting my images and all of a sudden I have a Lite version. I have a paid version of the old Symbiostock and all of a sudden the developer quits. I want more certainty this time before I dive in this again.

Simple question: If I upgrade to Pro now am I up to a surprise in the future, is  Symbiostock Pro intended to be a paid version and is it ever going to be downgraded again.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

You have the chance to get the Pro version free of charge NOW. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.

I’ve said this before and I say it again. Symbiostock’s and Symzio’s biggest asset are the photographers contributing to them. I’m absolutely sure the developer has no intensions to risk losing that.

Profile photo of Jan
    Jan
    Participant

I thought I had a pretty simple question but if that’s the official answer…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.