Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Geraint
    Geraint
    Participant

Is there a way to limit search to the Keywords (Tags) only.  I didn’t know whether Search Everything could do this but I can not find where this can be configured within the Symbiostock Plus set up.  Thank you Geraint

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Search is primarily controlled by WordPress – it doesn’t even search tags by default. Symbiostock has been expanded to add tag searching. I will look into this functionality and perhaps expand on the search functions, but something like this is somewhat unlikely at this point since it would mean overriding a deeply integrated part of WordPress itself (kind of like creating a whole new plugin).

Profile photo of Geraint
    Geraint
    Participant

Robin, as ever thanks for a quick response.  It looks as if the functionality is there from the work you have already done because when I go in to an image page all the keywords displayed are kickable and give the desired result.  What I would be looking for is for the keyword to be inputed and then to behave as if it has been clicked from a product page.  I hope that makes sense.  If you wish to see for yourself feel free to go to the site http://www.rnru.co.uk and select the search from the primary menu.  If you type in Gaz Fairbairn you get a selection of images from where he is both mentioned in the description and also as a Keyword (Product Tag).  The first image in the selection is actually Gaz.  If you select it and klick on Gaz Fairbairn as the keyword the results returned are only the five images of Gaz where his name appears as a Product Tag.  That said I am getting good feedback about the site from the client so thank you.  Geraint

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

In that case, it wouldn’t be a search then – it would have to match the tag exactly because I think that’s the way the tag page works. So if even one character was off, it would result in nothing. For example, if I do this:

http://www.rnru.co.uk/product-tag/fairbairn/

It does not provide any results even though you have tags that proportionally contain that term. Is this something that would be acceptable?

Profile photo of Geraint
    Geraint
    Participant

Robin, it is a valid point and would be frustrating for end users.  I have been looking at some possible options.  The functionality that I envisage is the family member of a player, friend etc wanting to look at all of the images of their chosen player.  As all the keywords are know, i.e. they exist as a product tag would it be possible to generate a page as a look up table.  i.e they go to the page look for the name to see if any images exist and if the name is there click on it and that would pull down all the images in the library.  Looking on the web a couple of people seem to have written .php files that would list all product tags and make them clickable but I am not skilled enough to know how easy or even practical solution this would be.  If not then I would stay with the requirement that they would have to type in the correct keyword (which is usually the name most people know the player by anyway).  I have done a smaller version of what I am proposing which is accessed via the footer menu.  If you click of The Photographers link the page lists all the photographers who have contributed and if you click on their name you get all of their images from a Product Tag search.  Geraint

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Listing all the tags used in the entire site is reasonably easy, but would look very messy because aside from official names, you’d get stuff like ‘sport’ or ‘football’, or anything else that is included as a tag.

One other option is categorizing them by his name, but then you may have an overabundance of categories.

There is one other option. With Symbiostock 2.0, I am going to be adding a few extra features to the PLUS servers. One of these is ‘Bundled Products’. This basically allows you to sell groups of images together as one product. If you did this for individual people, it would serve as an easy way for visitors to see all the products assigned to this one player in one place. Similarly, if people wanted to download all the images pertaining to this person, they could do so with that one product.

Would that sort of work?

Profile photo of Geraint
    Geraint
    Participant

Robin, it sounds as if bundled product would work if you can bundle together by product tag.  I am happy to wait for this functionality before doing any further work.  Thank you for looking in to it.  Geraint

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

With bundles you have to manually add products to it through an AJAX search field, so it is not ideal, but still an option. Organizing data is always an interesting thing so perhaps once 2.0 is out we can figure out a way of organizing content by tags in some manner.

Right now, I think a majority of web-visitors will likely click on the associated tag once they find an image they are interested in to see more like it. I feel that has become somewhat of a standard reaction.

Profile photo of Geraint
    Geraint
    Participant

Robin, it should work out ok.  I am conscious that the sites I am using are slightly out of synch with the norm.  Following our conversations last night I produced two user look up pages using page builder and custom menus.  These were not too time consuming to set up and because they are menus based on product tag I will be able to easily maintain them.  It helped me identify where there was some rogue data items due to finger trouble which was a good thing.  It also showed that there are some product tags which are no longer tied to an image.  I am not sure if they remain when an image is deleted or not.  Anyway the result looks fine and also provides some good functionality for the end use.  Thank you once more for your conscientious approach to the problem and I am looking to 2.0 on what is already an excellent product.  Geraint

http://www.rnru.co.uk/search-by-players-name/

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Wow that looks fantastic. You’re more familiar with manipulating themes than I am!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.