Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

Here’s a new problem.  When I try to process images I’ve uploaded, I get this message (and the Symbiostock doesn’t see the images in the uploads directory):

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_error_message() on a non-object in /home/83/37/3013783/web/webpics2/wp-content/themes/symbiostock/inc/classes/image-processor/symbiostock_image_processor.php on line 1139

I’ve tried disabling all of the plugins, no joy.  I also restored a backup from a few days ago (Updraftplus) when I believe the site was working correctly, still no joy.

I’m getting really tired of nearly constant bugs and lack of support, I guess when a developer abandons a program it is time to leave.

Any help out there?

Rick (ScenicOregon)

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Rick – Leo has opened a legacy support forum and has stated that he is going to resume supporting and building it. Hopefully you can find all your answers there – I think its through grfx.co.

Robin.

Profile photo of EggHeadStock
    EggHeadStock
    Participant

Does it work when you process only one or two images?

scenicoregon
    Participant

nope

EggHeadStock
    Participant

Hmm, you have the files uploaded with FTP? What happens when you put only two files in the upload dir and then process this two images?
    The memory_limit value in the php.ini file might be set too low if you would process a large number of images. Mine is set to: memory_limit = 128M

Or it might be one particular image causing this error? Any special characters in the title/caption?

scenicoregon
    Participant

Hi EggHeadStock-

My memory_limit = 128, already set that way.  I always upload through FTP.  The number of files didn’t matter.  Any image caused the problem, and I double-checked the images for corruption.  My host couldn’t find the problem, either, but others with the legacy version directed me to the legacy version developer’s support forum, and he fixed it (too soon to find out from him what the problem was).

Thanks for trying to troubleshoot this with me.

Profile photo of Erik Calderon
    Erik Calderon
    Participant

I’ve been trying to upload my images but I get the error – <b>Error(s):</b> Failed to process file: _DSC0207.jpg.  Can anyone help?

scenicoregon
    Participant

Hi Erik-

On the Legacy version of Symbiostock, there were a number of things that could trip up the ImageMagick image processor:

These are things that can trip up ImageMagick so that the images either won’t process, or that they process incorrectly.  Some of these affect it some of the time, some of them all of the time.

1.  If the dpi of the jpg is set to 72, instead of the preferred 300

2.  If the jpg is set to something other than the preferred “baseline” (doesn’t like progressive)

3.  If the file extension is uppercase JPG instead of the preferred lowercase jpg

4.  If there is an apostrophe ‘ in the file name

5.  If there is a dot . in the file name other than the normal one before the extension

6.  Images larger than about 9500 pixels on a side, at least for me

Looking at your file name, I wonder of the underscore might be causing a problem, too.  Additionally, there were other things that could cause problems, which is why I started this thread, and the developer helped me solve the issue, but I don’t remember what the problem was, and I no longer use the Legacy version of Symbiostock (have moved on to another system).  I do remember this being an issue with some processors:  The editor I used for IPTC would sometimes make the image unprocess-able, specifically Irfanview and Exiftool.  I found that in that case, if I opened the file in Photoshop and then resaved it, the image could now be processed.

Hope any of that helps, if not, you might explore getting help from the developer, but you’ll have to be patient.  Best of luck.

Profile photo of jean
    jean
    Participant

I have the same problem here, did you resolve the issue? If yes can you share how.

I have to continue with my legacy version therefor I like to resolve the problem.

Tanks in advance

Jean

PS I though migration will be the solution for me, but having read the instructions for a while for the migration I’m still puzzled about how to install the migration tool….

scenicoregon
    Participant

Hey Jean-

If you’re still using the old original version of Symbiostock that Leo developed, before Robin took it over (hummingbird logo), then most of the time if I adhered to rules #1-6 in my previous post to Erik, then I could get it to process, but only if I limited it to perhaps 6 images at a time.  I then migrated to a new host for my website (Bluehost) which helped a lot, and also switched over to Leo’s grfx plugin and Symbiostock to grfx plugin (ss2grfx).  Leo helped me a lot with that conversion.  I ran into other image processing problems at that time, mostly having to do with what I was using for my IPTC editing, the solution being, after editing the IPTC, to open and resave each image in Photoshop (Elements, for me), a process that is easy to automate as a batch but which I still do.  I’ve zero experience with Robin’s new Symbiostock, looks to me like it is working for others, for me grfx is doing the trick.  However, while Leo is truly very helpful, even self-sacrificing, when you get a hold of him, he tends to have a lot of pans in the fire, and seeing as grfx isn’t a moneymaker for him, I think it has fallen to a much lower place in his priorities, meaning that it can be very hard to reach out to him now, and the grfx plugin is no longer found on the WordPress plugin store.  If you want it, you can still get it at github, it is opensource:

https://github.com/orangeman555/grfx

If you can bring yourself to switch away from the old “legacy” Symbiostock (non-hummingbird), you really should, it doesn’t work nearly as well as even grfx does, at least in my experience.  What you should switch to is a much tougher problem, and depends a lot on how much money and time you’re willing to invest.

Profile photo of jean
    jean
    Participant

Thank you for your advices,

So you would also recommend to me move from the <span style=”color: #272727; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 28.8px;”> </span><span style=”color: #272727; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 28.8px;”>“legacy” Symbiostock and I hope this will solve my issues. I’m quite bad in monitoring the technical aspects of running a selfhosted site. Leo has been extermely helpful to me to set my first symbio, I dont want to bring him more troubles with my imcompetency!</span>

But you mention the word plugin in your mail and this alone gave me the solution of

<span style=”color: #242424; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; line-height: 28.8px;”>“install the tool it on my legacy install” – maybe the instructions for the migration could be more accurate and indicate that the “tool” is a plugin, and that it shall be installed via the plugin menu of wordpress, this would help dummies like me….</span>

Anyway thanks for your help, you have made that I can work further on the project….

Jean

EggHeadStock
    Participant

I’m about to convert my site from the old legacy site to the new Symbiostock.
    I knew I had to invest time but couldn’t forever remain using the old SY. Meanwhile, deciding to use SY or grfx, was no longer necessary

My first steps were to try to migrate a few images with the plugin after installing WooCommerce en Symbiostock on my testsite. Then I examined the functionality of the Symbiostock: The old SY has done a good job but this is a great improvement.
    Finally changed a few things to suits my needs and redesigned my site.

I haven’t tried it but the Symbiostock Express theme could give you some quick results designing your new website. You can try Symbiostock Plus if the technical side is holding you back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.