Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ThamKC
    ThamKC
    Participant

Hi Robin and everyone,

It is a great idea to pool the resources of contributors and create the Symzio contributors managed agency. I’m all for it and created my site as a source-feed to Symzio and already have some 1,700 images indexed as of today.  The pricing system of small resolution for $1.99 and a big price for full size image complete with extended license is great, and I wished this is the standard practiced by the industry.  That would work towards the benefit of contributors, and never again have full resolution images sold for 0.25…or less.

However this is not the reality of the market, and we will not be able to change it.  Images will continue to be sold at 0.25 or less with big subscription packages from the agencies.  Full size resolution images for single purchse is available as low as $4.70 from low priced agency like 123RF and the likes.

Realistically our target audience are those who wants to purchase in small number and do not want to be tied to complex packages.  That’s not only blogger who would be arguably interested in low-resolution images.  It includes those who wants to purchase images with bigger resolution for small time print jobs.  Symzio is having just two image size/license option. So, my question is whether we are missing significant business opportunities with the gaps in offerings.

Like it or not, buyers will compare Symzio with other leading agencies and this restricted purchase options is detrimental, in business sense.  Well, maybe need not be like other agencies offering multiple resolutions/packages etc, but an addition resolution size file of perhaps 3000×2000 would be great.   Symzio would fill the gap for buyers looking for single/small purchases for files at bigger resolution for print jobs.  The full resolution can be maintained at extended license level.

Just a thought and hope it can be considered.  Thank you.

My playground at www.thamkc.com

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Tham, I think you should take a step back to be able to see the big picture. Symzio ist trying to find a compromise to accommodate as many contributors from totally different backgrounds as possible while still being very competitive to other agency models, yet flexible to contributors. Not everyone likes the approach of “you must be the cheapest to make a sale”, which I believe isn’t valid anyway.
    We’ve been discussing the pricing for weeks and have eventually found a model that works for most of the contributors.
    If you think you could improve your sales by introducing more prices and sizes, you still have the freedom to do as you please on your own Symbiostock website. I don’t think it’ll do any good but please let us know if it works out well on your site.

Profile photo of ThamKC
    ThamKC
    Participant

Andre – am aligned to you that not everyone goes for cheapest.  The fact that premium agencies like Shutterstock still hold the lion share of the market despite the same images are also made available at other cheaper agencies proved the argument.

I was not touching on price but instead was suggesting having a bigger size image option at Symzio albeit not the full size so to tap the market of buyers who wants something more than a basic 800 px image.  Price them at a price that would be competitive (and not cheaper).  3 options would then be available, instead of 2 presently.

I am aware that we have the freedom of options on our own sites, but as we know is difficult to generate sales there… hence the idea of having Symzio. My apologies if this has been discussed in the past.  I might have missed the thread.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Someone else also mentioned subscriptions for corporate customers that have to fill out expense forms with every purchase and would rather have a monthly fee rather than one offs. As we are still in beta, everything is still up for improvement. I think no one person knows every aspect of the market, and I think your suggestion is a good one Tham. I think we’ll open discussions on this soon enough and try to incorporate a subscription system as well as perhaps additional file sizes. But it needs to be discussed and planned so that contributors are able to participate where they want, in what capacity, and the customer experience does not suffer.

Profile photo of ThamKC
    ThamKC
    Participant

Thanks Robin. I will look forward to participate in discussions and help propagate Symzio in my personal capacity.  Hope Symzio could be a force to be reckon with, in the near future competing along side with other agencies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.