Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of shotupdave
    shotupdave
    Participant

hi, i put in the new plug in, did the conversion, how do i get the new commence section to show up?

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

So how long will this version be out before the rug is pulled out from under our feet again? You will understand that most of us have gone from willing to test, to waiting to see what happens. It took us a while to understand the previous system and then, overnight all of our collective help contributions disappeared.

What happens to our old plugins? Are we expected to buy new premium plugins again?

This might sound negative, but I think given the recent history, it might be merited. I see that there is a new version of SymbioStock as a theme on my end. For the first time since starting with SymbioStock, I have not installed it. I honestly don’t have time to play Russian roulette with unknown updates.

Jo

Profile photo of stevephoto
    stevephoto
    Participant

So how long will this version be out before the rug is pulled out from under our feet again? You will understand that most of us have gone from willing to test, to waiting to see what happens. It took us a while to understand the previous system and then, overnight all of our collective help contributions disappeared. What happens to our old plugins? Are we expected to buy new premium plugins again? This might sound negative, but I think given the recent history, it might be merited. I see that there is a new version of SymbioStock as a theme on my end. For the first time since starting with SymbioStock, I have not installed it. I honestly don’t have time to play Russian roulette with unknown updates. Jo

I too see the Theme update all of a sudden – and I am hesitant to do it without some confirmation that it is real and won’t break everything I’ve done to this point. Especially with this NEW version on the horizon

Who was working on an update to the old theme?

Steve
    http://www.softlightstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I have no knowledge of this update – I would recommend just staying put until the new version is out. It may damage your install, and if so, I won’t be able to assist in recovery as I just don’t have the resources.

Edit: I’m going to investigate the issue and get back to you.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

When I upload the theme, I do not see an upgrade prompt. The version I have says ‘3.3.2’. Can you let us know what version yours is?

stevephoto
    Participant

When I upload the theme, I do not see an upgrade prompt. The version I have says ‘3.3.2’. Can you let us know what version yours is?

I’m on 3.5.6.

To make the update notification go away from your dashboard – there is a cheat.

From your Dashboard Click on Appearance – Editor

Select the theme to edit – Symbiostock (top right)

Go down to — Version: Change to 3.6.1 and click Update File.

Go back to your dashboard and refresh the page and the update will disappear.

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, the legacy Symbiostock update system is being used for marketing purposes by the previous developer of Symbiostock. I have asked him to stop doing this, but he feels it is appropriate. At this point there is nothing I can do because he is not giving me access to the update system, which is password protected on third party servers.

I recommend you follow the instructions posted above to disable the update notification and not install anything on your legacy Symbiostock server unless it is posted on the Symbiostock.org forums/blog.

I apologize about the confusion.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Unfortunately, the legacy Symbiostock update system is being used for marketing purposes by the previous developer of Symbiostock. I have asked him to stop doing this, but he feels it is appropriate. At this point there is nothing I can do because he is not giving me access to the update system, which is password protected on third party servers. I recommend you follow the instructions posted above to disable the update notification and not install anything on your legacy Symbiostock server unless it is posted on the Symbiostock.org forums/blog. I apologize about the confusion.

I’m sorry but am I the only one that’s even more confused now?

I guess by “previous developer” you mean Leo Blanchette? So you’re basically saying Leo is spamming the Symbiostock community for his own benefit? And you work on a new Symbiostock WP plugin without Leo? What is your relationship to Leo? Is he still on board? And who are you anyway? Do you have a website? Are you developer, photographer, designer, …? Are you doing this alone or with a team?

I’m sorry, I really don’t want to be rude by asking so many questions but I simply don’t understand what’s going on. Maybe a little more transparency would be a good idea. Or have I missed an announcement?

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Unfortunately, the legacy Symbiostock update system is being used for marketing purposes by the previous developer of Symbiostock. I have asked him to stop doing this, but he feels it is appropriate. At this point there is nothing I can do because he is not giving me access to the update system, which is password protected on third party servers. I recommend you follow the instructions posted above to disable the update notification and not install anything on your legacy Symbiostock server unless it is posted on the Symbiostock.org forums/blog. I apologize about the confusion.

I’m sorry but am I the only one that’s even more confused now? I guess by “previous developer” you mean Leo Blanchette? So you’re basically saying Leo is spamming the Symbiostock community for his own benefit? And you work on a new Symbiostock WP plugin without Leo? What is your relationship to Leo? Is he still on board? And who are you anyway? Do you have a website? Are you developer, photographer, designer, …? Are you doing this alone or with a team? I’m sorry, I really don’t want to be rude by asking so many questions but I simply don’t understand what’s going on. Maybe a little more transparency would be a good idea. Or have I missed an announcement?

Edited to add that this quote function seems a bit odd but my (KLSbear) posts are those below, not attributed to Redneck.

I have the same questions.  It seemed like Robin had joined forces with Leo to help with coding then out of then suddenly Leo took off in another direction and Robin took over Symbiostock but Leo hasn’t released all hold on it since he still controls the current WP update process.  He says the update release just announces he is no longer supporting Symbiostock and promotes his new GRFX program. Over on MSG there is a thread about that.

Robin, I would like to see a link to any sites you have and know a bit more about you too.  What is your involvement in microstock, if any?  Will your new version support both illustrators and photographers?

At this point the volatility and bickering surrounding Symbiostock have made that name a liability more than an asset.  You may want to consider rebranding too.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I had introduced myself in the MSG forums and on here, but I suppose not everyone had a chance to read it given all the movement.

I am a contributor – I have been a dedicated microstock photographer with my wife for about three years, and have been working towards my trade for about six. I do not have a personal site with my images which is why I came upon Symbiostock – I was planning to develop my own system that would be similar to it, and thought rather than start from scratch, why not join forces with someone who already had a similar idea.

I worked with Leo pretty closely, and without getting into it, in the end it was Leo’s own idea for me to take over Symbiostock and for him to do his own thing. His primary explanation related to illustrators being inherently different than photographers. Having invested in the joint project together, this set the project back, but I agreed because by that point I had deeply invested in the brand.

My primary motivation is personal – I want to be able to expand my microstock library and not be dependent on the large agencies, especially as payouts become thinner and thinner. As I am a programmer as well, I have a tendency to develop my own solutions, which is exactly what the new Symbiostock is.

Leo does not work with Symbiostock anymore, and this is by his own volition. I want him to succeed at whatever it is that he wishes to do, but if he is working on another project, as per his wishes, confusing current Symbiostock users will just make the brand recovery even harder, as is displayed by all this nonsense.

I have taken responsibility of the entire Symbiostock project and am working very hard to ensure that unlike the past, it remains sustainable and constant, and grows at a steady pace. This is why I’m not going to get involved in bickering for the sake of it, and just focus on growth.

We’re here to monetize our art – that’s my only motivation. I want to do it for myself, and it would only benefit me if everyone else did as well.

The only reason I’ve posted anything about the legacy Symbiostock updates is because people were asking about it. After finding out what was going on, it was very important to explain that the notification system was no longer controlled by Symbiostock. Right now, Symbiostock is myself and a graphic designer. We are both long-term contributors as well. I’m not going to introduce the designer yet as I don’t know if they want to be introduced.

I hope this has shed some light on the changes. It’s important to know a few things about my perspective:

1. I don’t expect you to be positive about anything based on my words – wait to see the plugin, then make your own decisions.
    2. Legacy users are very important to me. It is the hope I initially felt when I visited all of your sites that drew me strongly to the Symbiostock name. This is also why I want to preserve it. Seeing the logo and proud community effort is empowering.
    3. I want to engage only in productive manners with all those involved, whether it be personally productive or professionally productive.
    4. I do not want the spirit of Symbiostock to die – whatever was there originally, I want to expand on it by renewing your faith not in Symbiostock, but in the idea that we, as contributors, can be truly self-employed.

I’m not going to talk about the past in the forums anymore – I’d rather focus on development. If you have anything you’re still at odds with, feel free to message me.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Robin, thank you for clarifying the situation a bit.  I do have a few questions.

1. Will your version include both photographers and illustrators?
    2. Do you have plans to include other media, ie: video and audio?
    3. Do you have a targeted timeframe for your release, particularly with regard to addressing the VAT situation?

I want to remain positive and continue to support the cause.  I hope to see some concrete actions to help me feel optimistic soon.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

1) Support for most image types, including GIF, JPEG, PNG, EPS, TIFF. It will support anyone who contributes to the microstock industry, whether they be photographers, vector artists, or illustrators.

2) As I am also a videographer, that is on the agenda, but as it will add time to development, I have decided to delay it in order to release a fully complete image supporting system first.

3) The system will be using WooCommerce as it’s central processing engine, which supports VAT amongst other tax and payment related features. Here is some information on one extension: http://www.woothemes.com/2014/12/handling-eu-vat-woocommerce/

Right now, the ETA on a visual demo of the front end of Symbiostock Express running off Symbiostock in the backend is about two-four days. This will immediately be followed by a few days of beta testing, then release. It is hard to say, but a very rough estimate is one to two weeks. Don’t hold me to that if it is shorter or longer. With a small team, every bug can turn into a nightmare.

Further, I am not releasing it with the expectation to fix things and release new versions every three days – I have already actively tested it to smooth out most of the bugs, so the release will be a complete piece of software, not a half-finished end user nightmare.

stevephoto
    Participant

Will it be mobile friendly?

Steve

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Thanks for the update.  A few weeks is encouraging.  I was envisioning months of development and testing.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

You can use any theme you’d like, but Symbiostock Express will be fully responsive and mobile friendly. Thanks for the questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.