Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

In working with a new Symbiostock user who is migrating from legacy, I’ve created a short doc on how to preserve your URLs in the case that your legacy site is well established:

http://www.symbiostock.org/docs/migrating-from-legacy-symbiostock/

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Thanks Robin. Couple of questions. Can you make this change after you have imported files from the legacy site – is it just a pointing mechanism that doesn’t change the physical storage on the server? And second – although the location of the files in the URL will be the same, the base URL will be different (at least in the case where you build a parallel site). My example is the old one being BackyardStockPhotos.com as legacy and BackyardStockPhotos.net as new. Is it then possible to redirect all page loads with a .com URL to the same page in the .net site? That would be my final step in the process once my new site is fully loaded with images.

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

is it just a pointing mechanism that doesn’t change the physical storage on the server?

Yes, it is just a pointing mechanism and does not affect the files at all.

You can redirect all the URLs from the old site to the new, but the method of this redirection is not so clear. You can do so via htaccess and mod rewrite, you can do so via PHP and the header command, and it is possible to maybe even install a WordPress plugin that will do this for you. This is all assuming the old url is on a different WordPress install than the new one.

If you just want to swap the .com over to the .net after it’s ready, you can do that and WordPress should be able to properly redirect users automatically to the product pages.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Thanks Robin – that last option sounds the best one. Get my new site up and running quickly, move the .com domain to the new site and then any Google image searches that are high in popularity will just find their way to the new site and to the right page on the new site.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I don’t know if Google Image searches will be cloned on the new site, but the product URLs will. This should allow Google to find the images again through the actual pages. We’re also releasing some SEO upgrades with 2.0 which should be revealed soon that will directly assist in boosting Google Image rankings.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.