Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of franky242
    franky242
    Participant

Hi Robin,

I used the holidays to migrate my site from Bluehost to 1and1 due to the problems also mentioned here.

All works fine now, however I needed to discover that I can not install Imagick myself on my hosted instance. However 1and1 seem to have a generic version of Imagick installed that can be adressed differently under /usr/bin/convert : http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/hosting/1und1-hosting-c10085285/skript–und-programmiersprachen-c10082634/php-c10082686/bedienung-c10082739/imagemagick-nutzen-a10791778.html (unfortunately only in German)

Since I will not be able ton install the standard package and the current implementation of GD would not process my thumbnails, the question is if Symbiostock can use this function or if you see any other way to run Symbiostock on 1and1?

Thanks for you support, kind regards, Frank

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’m not sure I understand your request. You have migrated already but you’re not sure if it works?
    If it does work then everything should be fine.

BTW, if changing the German web host is an option, I’ve been with all-inkl.com for many many years and I’ve never run into any problems. Symbiostock worked from day one like a charm.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Franky,

So, this is an upgrade a few other people have mentioned that I would love to do but don’t currently have the time. Basically, on that page you provided they clearly say they don’t have the PECL Imagick installed – this is what Symbiostock relies on.

However, Imagick is basically a ‘wrapper’ so that PHP can interact directly with Image Magick. All the functions performed within Imagick can be performed directly from the command line using the bin/convert command. The only problem is, someone has to figure out exactly what those commands are.

So, for example, we resize images using Imagick, we watermark images using Imagick, we set the quality, resolution, all that jazz. To figure out how to do it via the command line is certainly possible, but will take some effort and time. This is something I cannot do.

If, however, you want to research it and test it, and successfully through testing create a command line that watermarks an image, and resizes an image, if it is enough information with which I can work with, I can look into adding it to Symbiostock.

Here is the reference I found:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

Pretty large, but that’s where the research comes in. We only need a few working examples and then we’re good.

The only other option is to move to a web-host that provides Imagick, or rely on GD.

franky242
    Participant

Hi Redneck,

sorry if I was unclear: Migration of the existing site worked however the import of new photos won´t due to the lack of Image Magick – GD won´t work with my image due to their large sizes probably.

THanks for your hosting recommendation, will need to see how I continue…

franky242
    Participant

Hi Robin,

thanks for your extensive reply! An alternative solution would indeed be great.

I am afraid my programming skills will by far not be sufficient for setting up this testing environment. The only hint I can give through my research the last days is that TYPO3 seems to have the option for the user to define the path to his Image Magick folder, maybe this might already be sufficient for Symbiostock as well, don´t know if TYPO3 then used the command line or the wrapper…

GD currently seems not to process my images, however today it seems it was able to process a rather small one successfully. Need to further test these options I guess..

franky242
    Participant

Hi Redneck, Hi Robin,

since I got fed up with the missing imagick on 1&1 I followed Redneck´s suggestion regarding all-inkl.com and gave them a test drive. So far all works fine (thanks a lot Redneck for this hint!), just the fact that they do not support exec functions makes me worry: Whilst I do not really need image metadata to be updated upon WordPress edits, I wonder if this missing feature has other impacts in the future and if then there will be a work around such as the Addhandler code that they promote here: http://all-inkl.com/wichtig/faq/#exec – in which folder(s) would I need to place that .htaccess file?

Thanks for your support, cheers, Frank

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I use the Addhandler in .htaccess on most of my websites. No issues. Just place it in your root directory. If you’re German, you can also contact me in German privately if that’s easier for you (I’m German, too).

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

PS: By root directory I meant the one your domain points to.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Franky,

Glad you’re getting it going – I don’t know anything about addhandler, but if Redneck uses it without issue, I’m sure he can guide you. Without exec functions you wouldn’t be able to use the Symbiostock Video plugin either as that requires access to the function.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.