Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Milan Stojanovic
    Milan Stojanovic
    Participant

Hi symbiostock,

I’m thinking of choosing this platform for selling images online. What I found problematic is that platform is non that user friendly, as I was hoping for. First thing first, at start I got the impression that any hosting wordpress service is good enough. Later while reading this forum I start to see little things that do matter, for example not every hosting has installed Imagick PHP extension, and that even some of them have but it is not the right version (I really have poor engineering skills … something like binary and non binary …).
    So I would find it really helpful if there was official information, from developing team, not to recommend single hosting service but to give list of thing we, as buyers of hosting services can ask them directly before paying, to have best symbiostock experience.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Profile photo of Videoopp
    Videoopp
    Participant

What is your budget?  I can recommend Inmotionhosting and Wired Tree as being well suited to this kind of site.  They both limit users on VPN servers, don’t choke your bandwidth, and have the imajic.  It’s a jungle out there and buyer beware that when sites advertise unlimited this and that, it does not really mean unlimited.

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

This is a good suggestion, however, it is mostly mentioned in the official installation guide on WordPress: https://wordpress.org/plugins/symbiostock/installation/

As for version of PHP Imagick, this is generally not specified and you do not have to worry about it. Very rarely has there been an issue, and if so, it’s a rare issue with watermarking certain EPS files which cannot be predicted prior to setup.

The only thing we recommend other than PHP Imagick that is not mentioned in the installation is the ability to execute shell_exec functions within PHP – some hosts disable this. It is not necessary, however, but is needed to write metadata to images.

Symbiostock even works without Imagick, but is much better with it.

We will update the instructions to be more clear on the official site, and I will create a sticky thread regarding it here as per your suggestion. Thanks.

Milan Stojanovic
    Participant

Thanks Robin, so I should only ask hosting company for support of PHP Imagick (“ability to execute shell_exec functions within PHP”) and Woocommerce, ok!

@Videoopp
    My budget is really small, as smaller as it can be about 50$ per year or even less. I’m a recent college graduate just starting microstock so every penny is problematic for me (that means shared hosting for sure), also living in Eastern Europe. I will maybe try with Godaddy as George Sheldon suggested. Currently I have about 10gb of images ready to upload, and that number is increasing.

@George Sheldon
    Did you have experience with shared hosting plans from GoDaddy?

Thanks in advance guys!

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

You dont need to ask about WooCommerce – just:

1) PHP Imagick (not via command line – the PECL extension)
    2) The ability to execute shell_exec

that’s it. If you have those two, sufficient memory and disk space, you can run smooth as butter. Without Imagick you will need more memory and will not be able to do vectors. Without shell_exec you will not be able to write image metadata, may not be able to read certain metadata, and will not be able to process videos.

Profile photo of kennykiernan
    kennykiernan
    Participant

Hey Robin – I’m following up on this thread – a I’ve posted elsewhere that I’m unhappy with Bluehost and have never used GoDaddy. Can you confirm that GoDaddy is good for selling vectors on SS: works with PHP Imagick, can execute shell_exec and works with all Woocommerce plugins?

My tech guy says I have to run my Stripe credit card processor plugin on an Apache server, and the reason it crashes my site when a credit card purchase is made as Guest without creating an account (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/must-have-at-least-one-lettererror-message?replies=10#post-8318395) is that Bluehost is using not Apache but NGinx for my SSL.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Kenny Kiernan
    https://www.clipartman.com

Milan Stojanovic
    Participant

I’m using ehosts, so far so good. They support both:
    1) PHP Imagick (not via command line – the PECL extension)
    2) The ability to execute shell_exec

It’s only shared hosting plan they have.

Yes Please “<span style=”color: #272727; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>We will update the instructions to be more clear on the official site”

I was also lost until i discovered this thread. In summary I have asked my Host Ipage to:

</span><span style=”color: #272727; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>1) PHP Imagick (not via command line – the PECL extension)
    </span>2) The ability to execute shell_exec

I hope i have not missed anything?  Many Thanks to everyone for contributing

Cheers Simon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.