Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

I (and my Web Server Admin) have noticed that the CPU usage has gone off the charts since setting up and running symbiostock, particularly when we know it is processing images (via cron), we may have 100’s of images we may FTP at any time.  It can be as high as 75% or even more at times.  Is this normal for symbiostock?

We have Imagick running, it is processing the images it is just using massive amounts of CPU.

Thanks

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

This is normal. PHP is a programming language and Apache is a web server – they are not built to do heavy digital processing. This is why using Imagick cuts down on time and memory usage significantly, but overall, this is still cutting edge technology that is not as streamlined as, say, just running an ecommerce store would be.

Having a server that uses multiple cores is generally a pretty useful way to overcome any issues, however, as I’ve found unlike single core servers, you can have one core maxed out while the other can still operate as normal (in most cases).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.