Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Till
    Till
    Participant

I currently have this odd problem, that the checkboxes for Virtual, Downloadable and Digital went missing. When I open a product (media) in edit mode, the checkboxes are shown – but after the page is loaded completely, the boxes vanish.

This behaviour seems to be ‘by design’ since all the three elements each have an element style “display:none;” applied to them. I just don’t know why – and how I triggered this? I hope, somebody has a suggestion, where/how I can make the checkboxes re-appear? Thank You! till

Profile photo of Till
    Till
    Participant

Update: the hide/show of the checkboxes is triggered by the symbiostock option ” Simplify administrative interface to focus on media sales. (Recommended)” which basically is fine. But this makes all media by default Virtual (ok) and Downloadable (ok) but not Digital (not ok).

Is there any way where I can set Media to “digital” by default? Thanks again! t

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

There is no digital checkbox in the supported WooCommerce version – if you are using a newer version, you may have to make changes yourself.

Also, the simplify interface does not affect the viewability of these fields. You can see them by clicking on Licenses and expanding each license.

Profile photo of Till
    Till
    Participant

Hi Robin,

thak you for your reply!

I’m not sure if I understand correctly – but in WooCommerce 2.7 there is a digital checkbox at least for “Simple product”.

And while the editor is loading, I can see the checkboxes for about 2 seconds – as shown in the screenshot below:

Of course I can check “digital” on every license of every media product – but having 6 licenses makes the adding of new media files a bit complicated… or at least time consuming.

You’re suggesting I could make changes yourself – well – at least I could try… Do you have any pointer where I could add such a ‘preset’?

Thank you! t

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The supported version is currently 2.4.6, so I cannot offer advice on 2.4.7. However, Symbiostock products are variable products, not simple products. So you would not be changing it on a product basis, but on each license. What I meant by changing it yourself was coding it in. We will synchronize Symbiostock to the newest version of WooCommerce when it seems necessary, but at the current time due to the level of instability introduced when 2.4 was released, we are sticking with 2.4.6 for the time being.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

You could also submit a support request if you needed it done by us soon.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I just upgraded one of our test servers with 2.4.7 and the digital option does not exist for variable products – only for simple ones. So I would not worry about it. As Symbiostock products are variable, it is of no concern – they are treated as digital products anyways through the combination of virtual and downloadable.

Profile photo of Till
    Till
    Participant

Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

Asking myself why I originally needed the option’Digital’ I re-did some research on the subject – and maybe it helps to understand what this is all about, if I try to sum up the details. I personally usually would not mind about the setting ‘Digital’ anyways, since I find the settings ‘Virtual’ and ‘Downloadable’ sufficient to describe the nature of stock images – so basically everything could be fine as it is.

But there were some changes recently in European Law – and adjustments that were then made to the WooCommerce plugin ‘German Market’. As far as I know it basically ‘only’ affects a) businesses in the EU that are b) selling digital goods to c) end users inside the EU. The new regulation says that in that case, the VAT of the consumer has to be applied to the (digital) product – not the VAT of the seller. So basically, since every EU country has a slightly different VAT, the updated ‘German Market’ plugin adds the VAT now according to the buyer’s country, of the option ‘Digital’ is set. So if I understand this hole thing correctly, the option ‘Digital’ can be set to make WC-GM apply the updated EU-VAT-laws – assuming that  a) and b) and c) do apply. Huh!

Here’s a detailed text about this new EU directive at gov.uk:
    VAT: businesses supplying digital services to private consumers

And here’s an interview on that topic over at marketpress.com:
    Interview with Attorney at Law Thomas Schwenke on Changes to Consumer Legislation

So I think currently setting each license option to “Digital” is ok for now and ok for me – it just works. But it looks like this EU directive won’t go away in the near future. So in the long run it could probably be a good idea to have some kind of preset implemented, considering there are probably quite some people in the EU affected by this.

Anyways – should this actually go in the ‘feature requests’ section?

Cheers! till

PS: sorry if this happens to be all well known and boring to you – but to me it’s currently all quite new and… ‘exciting’

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

So that setting is created by your third party plugin?

I just logged into the upgraded server and can’t find the digital setting again. All I have is virtual and downloadable. Maybe it is only added by that plugin, in which case you would definitely need to submit a support request if you wanted that customized to automatically be set for you.

Thanks for the additional information, however. It should be useful for other users.

Profile photo of Till
    Till
    Participant

Yup, seems the additional option ‘Digital’ comes from WooCommerce German Market.

Looking at the time I (and probably everybody else in my situation) would save having that preset ‘Digital=Checked’ I would actually like to submit a feature request… or rather a support request. How should I/we proceed with that? Would this be a feature you would anyways want to implement – and I would try to help you? …or should I actually submit a feature request and pay the $20 / $40 in advance?

Cheer! t

Profile photo of Till
    Till
    Participant

I have to admit I took a look at the code – and thanks to well documented and well structured code I actually managed to add the automatic preset myself.

I know ‘hacking’ the core files is bad practice – but I really needed this feature a.s.a.p. since triggering that option six times for each new media file is just beyond my… Anyways – now it seems to be working. Hope you don’t mind.

What I did was I added one line of code to the function “ss_add_license_as_variation” which is located in the file “tools-product-variations.php”

update_post_meta($varpostid, ‘_digital’, ‘yes’ );

Now the option is set – which saves me a lot of time. Thank you very much! Greetzs, Till

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Beautiful!

I’ve added an action hook there for you so once the plugin is updated you can just hook a function adding that code to it. Good work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.