Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ozgurcoskun
    ozgurcoskun
    Participant

Hello!

I would like to create categories in a way that BigStock (Top Categories) or ShutterStock (Browse By Categories) shows at their main pages in the footer area. Is there any way to do this in SymbioStock? I have about 25 categories like them.

Thanks!

http://www.StockRaphy.com

StockRaphy Family Owned Stock Photography, Direct From The Artis

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey ozgur – I’ll let Dawn answer your questions, but in the meantime, you may want to order your licenses:

http://www.symbiostock.org/docs/ordering-your-licenses/

Welcome aboard!

ozgurcoskun
    Participant

Done,

Thanks

Profile photo of innerstock
    innerstock
    Participant

I have done something similar in my page using Text widget (Arbitrary text or HTML).

Between<body>I made 4 categories links. You can make as many you want to fit your design.

Then copy all and paste into text widget. One widget for each footer column.

Of course you need to change the url and category name. Well I see you have already done your categories 🙂 Looking great!

ozgurcoskun
    Participant

Thank you Innerstock.

I will keep it drop down for now and might change to the way you are doing it. It’s looking better that your site presents.

Your site looks very professional and I loved your stage work/Drama photos.

Thanks again.

Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster

Hey Ozgur,

I’ve made a ‘Browse by categories’ addition to the demo site in response to the sort of design concept you’re looking for – take a look at the Symbiostock Express demo’s landing page now – you’ll see what I’ve done just above the dark footer area. Creating this takes a little bit of work but the end result is quite nice and you can tweak it to your needs. Here’s how to do it:

1) You have to create 2 new pages (Pages > Add Page). Title one of them ‘Home’ and the other ‘Blog’ (if you already have a blog page then you don’t need to create a new one). Don’t write anything in the body of the pages.

2) Now in your WordPress dashboard go to Settings > Reading.

3) Under Reading Settings there will be options for ‘Front page displays‘. Choose ‘A static page‘.
    For the ‘Front Page‘ option choose ‘Home’
    For ‘Posts page‘ option choose ‘Blog’
    Click ‘Save Changes

4) Now go to Symbiostock Express > Home Layout

Scroll down to the ‘Homepage Layout Manager‘ section. Drag and drop the ‘Page Content‘ option into the Enabled box and place it as the last element with the box.

Click ‘Save Changes‘.

5) Now in your WordPress dashboard go to Appearance > Menus. Create 3 new menus – one to represent each column of categories that you want. Title the menu names as:
    Categories Column 1
    Categories Column 2
    Categories Column 3
    Do not assign the new menus to any location. Add the Product Categories that you want to show up in each menu.

6) Install and activate the Page Builder plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/).

7) In your WordPress dashboard go to Pages. You are now going to edit the ‘Home’ page that we created earlier – the page title will show the words ‘Front Page’ next to it to indicate that it is the homepage of your site. Click Edit for Home page.

8) Click Page Builder to switch to page builder mode.

9) Click ‘Add Row‘. Implement the following parameters in your ‘Edit Row’ window:
    Set row layout: 4
    columns with a ratio of: Even(1)
    going from: left to right

Layout >
    Padding Top: 40px
    Padding Bottom: 40px

Click ‘Save‘.

9) Select your first column by clicking on the first blue rectangle. It should now be highlighted. Click Add Widget. Select the ‘Text‘ widget.

10) Hover over the newly added Text widget and click ‘Edit‘. In the body field type:
    Browse Images by
    Category

Under Attributes > CSS Styles insert:
    font-size:30px;
    line-height:30px;

Click ‘Done

11) Select your second column by clicking on the next blue rectangle. Click Add Widget. Select the ‘Custom Menu‘ widget.

10) Hover over the newly added ‘Custom Menu’ widget and click ‘Edit’.

12) In the ‘Select Menu‘ drop-down choose ‘Categories Column 1’. Click ‘Done’.

13) Repeat steps 10-12 for your remaining two columns, but make sure to choose Categories Column 2 & Categories Column 3 for Select Menu.

14) One you have finished editing the widgets click Update to save the changes to your page. Take a look at your live page – everything should be in order except for one aspect – there should be bullets appearing next to each category. If you want to remove the bullets do the next step.

15) In your WP dashboard go to Appearance > Custom CSS.
    Insert the following CSS:

ul.menu li { list-style-type: none; }

Click ‘Update Custom CSS‘.

Now those bullet points should be gone.

This was a bit of a lengthy tutorial but hopefully it provides a reasonable intro into how you can use page builder to create unique page elements. You can add more rows/columns to create unique looking category menus. Play around with it, see what you come up with. Let me know if you need clarification for any of the steps.

Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster

Oh and I like the name of your site – it’s catchy!

ozgurcoskun
    Participant

Hello Dawn,

Thank you for your effort and the simplicity of your instructions . I made the changes, and after I was done made little more changes.

Since new categories right below sample categories I removed first column text and created another column of categories. http://www.StockRaphy.com

I guess depending the site category list works the way the you want. Its great that we d not have to do coding one we implement this.

Now I would like to remove Categories drop down menu at the top since my categories too long. Do you know a way to add a link to the Categories that will move page smoothly to the “Browse Categories” area? I owe you already one and asking another one 🙂

Thank you again.

Ozgur Coskun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.